What is This? Any ideas?

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: What is This? Any ideas?

Post by Nicotti »

jammer_smith wrote:Also, Niccotti, on that dug away road spot. I see the pictures in that old thread, but if this is the same spot it has been worked on considerably since then, which means it's probably much more active than it looked like in the photo, meaning I probably can't just traipse down that road and walk in.

Also, just up the road a bit, where the Chemical Farm from that other thread is there are some abandoned gas station buildings or something like that, and further to the north and east of there I can see many culs-de-sac with no homes around them and road going nowhere ,like a large subdividsion was planned and never got off the ground.

What you are talking about and Paul are aren't exactly the same, but within a half mile of each other, and possibly on the same parcel. Did you see this on the closeup? It's along the drive to that roadcut you pointed out.

Can't tell if it's just a pond or more.

That empty subdivision is an extension of Stone Bridge (the area south with the golf courses). But idk if they are actively constructing houses in there or not. Assuming I'm looking at the same subdivision as you that is.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

jammer_smith wrote: Hayes Cave is only a little west of a park calls Hayes Spring park. Makes sense, I assume the Hayes family owned the whol area back in the day. But much further west, across the creek, is a little stretch of Road called Hayes Cave Road. To you knowledge are there multiple Hayes caves?
There is Hayes Cave and there is Hayes Spring Cave (gated). The spring cave goes back about 400 feet.
jammer_smith wrote: Also, just a bit furhter west is Tortuga Spring Farm and Terrapin Spring. Do you know anything about those?
I've been by Terrapin Spring, accessible from road but I can't remember exactly where it is. My mom and dad grew up in the area. I know a few caves in the area, but I'm sure there's plenty I don't know about. I've been by Tortuga Spring Farm but don't know anything about it. It's an interesting area. Don't neglect Brown's Spring, although you'd have to get permission to get close.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
sheridan24
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: What is This? Any ideas?

Post by sheridan24 »

I grew up right down the road from this location. I have friends who have found hundreds of indian artifacts in and around this cave. There are many caves around that area, mostly private property though.
olenewt
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by olenewt »

I know the people that own it and the reason it probably shows that LC or whatever is because they probably bought it under their business. I personally have not been in it but my brother has and he said that you could turn a semi around in it.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

January 2019 update. Looking at newer sattelite imagery, it appears the stream coming out this cave was recently dammed to form a couple of ponds. In 2015 google earth imagery, it looks like it flooded a bit, and almost ate the earthen dam. Makes me wonder if the whole thing is underwater now. Also, new building on the hillside above. Very curious really want to check this out.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

jammer_smith wrote:Very cool. Good to know. Also, check this out:

Some Kinda of Quarry/ Underground Storeage: 36.717146,-93.276887

Looks best in Bing Bird's eye
That looks to be TRAC's Nickens Mine. It's currently being operated as a surface mine, but had intermittent underground mining from the 90s to mid-2000s.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

So nice having a mines expert active on the forum currently.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand