Goon Road (Fairview Heights)

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
brandonman
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Goon Road (Fairview Heights)

Post by brandonman »

Out in Fairview, just as you cross over I-64 heading North on Bunkem Road, there's a small road on your right that leads into a small row of houses. At the very end of this, the road turns into a dirt trail. Legend has it that when you go down this trail at night, you'll come across the home of an inbred family of goons that allegedly have been the perpetrators of murders for decades.

Well, being young and dumb college kids, we figured last weekend was the perfect time to test our luck with the goons! :twisted: Five of us locked and loaded, protected by a single USMC knife and cellphone flashlights since it was spur of the moment. We drove out there and got to the end of the paved road, when one of the local residents of the well-kept homes came out to the end of his driveway as we were debating the spookiness of the woods. We asked him about what was back there and said we'd heard some legends, and he told us what to expect as far as the road goes, and suggested not going back, even though nobody goes there anymore. Despite this, our adventerous side took over once he went back to his house. We drove our car as far as we could on the dirt road, stopped it, and walked the next 3/4? mile down an overgrown unkept old dirt trail through dense woods in the pitch black night. Shortly thereafter, we saw what we thought was a set of eyes staring at us from the top of a hill. Whenever our light passed over it, you could see the yellowish glow, but it went dark if you didn't. We pressed onwards, and found that it was a gate that was essentially falling down, but wasn't designed to stop foot traffic (only covered the road, not the areas around it), so we crossed the threshhold. We continued walking, and came to a grassy clearing the man had told us about. We followed some foot wear in the grass in hopes of finding the homestead.

We found it. There were no inbred goons, but I'm pretty sure the barn used to be used for a Moonshine operation. There were hundreds of glass jars all over the place (they had been sitting for years and years, so we weren't in moonshine gunner danger), and I didn't see a still. I'll let the photos speak for themselves. It was a really fun urban exploration, especially with the spooky factor thrown in!

A couple notes: The house itself had part of the roof cave in. The front (and only) door has a oldish but working padlock on it, so with those two factors in mind, we didn't get to go inside and explore the house, although we did the shed and the barn which were open. Also, it turns out we missed two more buildings a little to the east somehow. We're planning to go back again sometime. Finally, that carcass was a stray cat :cry:

Pictures galore that my buddy took!

http://imgur.com/a/WwTK7/all
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

RE: Goon Road (Fairview Heights)

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Sounds like fun! My friends and I like to spook ourselves at Washington Park Cemetery. Maybe we will make this our next adventure. 'Tis the season! ;)

Thanks for the post and pics!
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Re: Goon Road (Fairview Heights)

Post by redox »

I think I can see the buildings from GE. I bet goons are still living there drinking moonshine, inbreeding, and butchering urban explorers for food.
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
brandonman
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by brandonman »

redox wrote:I think I can see the buildings from GE. I bet goons are still living there drinking moonshine, inbreeding, and butchering urban explorers for food.
Yep, that's how I confirmed there are two more buildings after reading a total of 6 online. I think the moonshine operation is long since shut down, but who knows, maybe they go in, clean up, and restart over fall and winter or something! :shock:
brandonman
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by brandonman »

Just an update - there is another shed, AND a *very* in-tact (but open door abandoned) house a little bit east of the ones that you first come across. Once you are at the shed that was the last one I took photographs of, head a few steps east of it and you'll be in an open-ish clearing. Head North-East and you'll stumble upon a shed, and then a house. I went with my buddies this weekend, but didn't manage to get any decent pictures.

Note that when I say it's abandoned - it's stripped bare except for appliances and such. Still neat.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

how the fuck does brandonman have 23 posts twice>?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

A glitch in the matrix.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
brandonman
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by brandonman »

I'm sorry, but, uwotm8?
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

yeah a glitch in the matrix nm
MonkeyKing
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by MonkeyKing »

I know this is an old post but I'm trying to take a friend of mine here for her birthday right around Halloween. Would anyone be able to PM me some accurate directions or coordinates? It'd be greatly appreciated.
Why did Lucy fall off the swing set? She had no arms. Knock knock. Who's there? NOT LUCY
squeaksman
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by squeaksman »

38.601453, -90.009486
MonkeyKing
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by MonkeyKing »

Any instructions on how to get to the buildings?
Why did Lucy fall off the swing set? She had no arms. Knock knock. Who's there? NOT LUCY
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

through the doors???? just watch some resident evil before you go
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
brandonman
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by brandonman »

How'd it go?

Yea, all the doors there are open.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Anyone ever heard of monkey mountain road? It starts off of old 21 south of Hillsboro then comes out in Potosi. Lots of legends/tales about that road. It's home to a lot of extremely poor families who don't take well to strangers. People tell stories about getting chased out by inbred rednecks. Not a place you'd want to get a flat tire or something..

I've driven down it once or twice. Families live in mobile homes with tarps as roofs and little kids run around with no clothes on...
aka "That Guy"