Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Sequiota Quarry High Tunnel

Post by RedRook »

I was looking at this cliff on the way to the park with my daughter:
37° 8'42.04"N 93°14'39.43"W

I could have sworn I saw a tunnel near the top of the quarry cliff. It looked too high to be purposeful. Google maps has me guessing I was seeing a shadow illusion, but it also looked like either work or run-off has taken back some of this cliff. Is the quarry active again? Anyone know about the tunnels at this place, is it possible for a chamber to be tall enough to be exposed? I thought the tunnels here were kind of low, flat, and spread out like plane, not a tunnel. I could be remembering the wrong place though.
l3ol3slost
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Sequiota Quarry High Tunnel

Post by l3ol3slost »

idk i looked at google earth at the coordinates but not seeing much, i will definitely go check it out monday ;) and ill let u know, but i gotta check my work schedule first
"ego sum, ego existo, quoties a me profertur, vel mente concipitur, necessario esse verum."
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Re: Sequiota Quarry High Tunnel

Post by lolabelle »

I believe the quarry is still active. but as you'll find here on other sequiota threads, it is NOT recommended a person explore here. federal charges can come into play :)
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Conco Quarries owns the Galloway Quarry and it is active.
Last edited by Nicotti on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I'm pretty sure it was a shadow illusion. I saw it in the morning looking from Lone Pine. I can't tell what was causing the hole looking shadow now. The sun was shining right on that cliff face. I was looking right at it for about 2 minutes trying to figure out if it was a shadow or a hole, but at noon I see nothing from the same location.

Has that quarry always been active, or am I mixing up memories from my teenage days. I could have sworn that place was completely abandoned at some point. I might be mixing it up with memories of a quarry north of town.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

Maybe you're thinking of the old limestone plant that used to be onsite...it's demolished now.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I have it on good authority that the old tunnel mines at Galloway Quarry are filled with tailings from the Lime plant that used to be there.

So it's not like you can go find & open their entrance and explore inside.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I remember some flooded flat spread out in a plane type of chamber at a quarry. I just can't remember which. I do remember there being zero signs of people being there recently when we went in, so if this place has always been active, I might just be mixing up younger memories. If I'm remembering right, it would be on the south side though, not at this cliff.