Exploring every single street/RR in STL by bike. Anyone in?

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Exploring every single street/RR in STL by bike. Anyone

Post by jjjjjjjijjjjjjj »

crazydrummerdude wrote:..any wacky stories to accompany that map?
Saw a dead body in the state streets last fall. Also: saw an alleycat eating a short-stack of pancakes in the middle of the road in College Hill.

Those are just the first two that stand out, but there's a dozen more. I'm dead-set sure that this ain't news to you or to most people around here: but, as I'm sure y'all know, if you spend enough time out and about exploring, you start to accumulate some pretty awesome stories about what you've seen.

It's one of the reasons we all have this hobby, I'm sure of it. Also: one of the reasons I love talking with people who have this hobby.

Love learning about this city. Love love love it.
"You take delight not in a city's seven or seventy wonders, but in the answer it gives to a question of yours. Or the question it asks you, forcing you to answer, like Thebes through the mouth of the Sphinx." –I. Calvino, Invisible Cities
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Wait wait wait,

You can't just casually mention seeing a dead body and then go on with the list. More info man.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Nicotti wrote:You can't just casually mention seeing a dead body and then go on with the list. More info man.
Here's the dead body story, cut-and-pasted from when I typed it out a while ago:
Dead Body Story wrote:Early fall of 2012, weekday, late evening, 9pm or so. Going south on Louisiana Ave i wanna say, at Keokuk (but I'm looking at google maps now and that intersection isn't looking like I remember it. Very near to it, though; more sure about the "Keokuk" part than the n/s street.). I see a group of sorta restless-looking, concerned folks all over the intersection -- maybe 12-15 people scattered around -- on a corner where you wouldn't expect to see more than a couple people.

This isn't that out of the ordinary; usually it means that someone had an accident or a heart attack or is getting evicted or something. I slow up and get off my bike and ask a woman what's wrong. She looks at me pretty strangely and just kind of makes a show of deliberately looking over my shoulder. I turned around and 15 yards away is a guy laid out: head on the street, legs on the sidewalk with (at the very least) a huge, kinda [s]cavernous-looking[/s] head wound [edit: "cavernous" sounds more dramatic than it should. I mean to say that his head was "no longer round and intact". It was like an apple with a small bite taken out of it.]. I'd guess it was a gun wound, but I'm no kind of expert, and it'd only be a guess.

The first cop car was pulling up right as the words were coming out of my mouth -- lights on only, no sirens. Nobody's making any sounds, the whole group was really spread out and really quiet.

For a second I thought about asking more questions or sticking around, but that's really rubbernecking on a whole 'nother level... and for all I knew some of those folks could be his kin, and I didn't want to be disrespectful. I just kind of stared for five seconds and wandered in the direction I was going and got back on the bike. The whole thing -- from me noticing the crowd, to stopping, to getting back on the bike and riding along -- took maybe 25 seconds. It was a strange experience, and a bummer all-'round.

I made some half-hearted attempts to find news on it the next day just to find out more, but didn't turn up anything. I called an acquaintance of mine who's a city cop, but he never got back to me. I thought about it a bunch, but never really obsessed over it; it's like it was too quiet and calm and low-key to have actually happened. It dropped off my radar pretty quickly, and now it's just this sorta surreal scene that it feels like I drifted through.
"You take delight not in a city's seven or seventy wonders, but in the answer it gives to a question of yours. Or the question it asks you, forcing you to answer, like Thebes through the mouth of the Sphinx." –I. Calvino, Invisible Cities
cdevon1200
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

RE: Exploring every single street/RR in STL by bike. Anyone

Post by cdevon1200 »

we will need pics of the cat eating pan cakes- thats kind of far fetched...
leave nothing but beer cans, take nothing but selfies.

https://www.facebook.com/TheTexasDoor
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Exploring every single street/RR in STL by bike. Any

cdevon1200 wrote:we will need pics of the cat eating pan cakes- thats kind of far fetched...
He wasn't eating at it so much as just, like, glaring at me while hovering over it. But yeah -- I'm not prone to hallucination, but in hindsight it looks like it might've been a mirage or something. I got a cat that wouldn't touch a pancake if you paid her.

I love cats and -- all things considered -- I would've definitely tried to abduct him... but he seemed content with what he was working on and I'll cop to having been quasi-intimidated by him and the whole situation.

Not saying it's right at all -- but sometimes in North City visitors just let things go without thinking about it too much. It's fucked-up to do, and I wish we wouldn't; but I just let that cat have his short-stack. Not saying I don't feel bad about it...
runninggartman
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Exploring every single street/RR in STL by bike. Anyone

Post by runninggartman »

Can't believe somebody else has been working on this too! My map is all the streets that I've traversed while running rather than biking and includes the county as well, but overall pretty similar!

http://www.scribblemaps.com/create/#id= ... =12&t=road
brandonman
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Exploring every single street/RR in STL by bike. Any

Post by brandonman »

runninggartman wrote:Can't believe somebody else has been working on this too! My map is all the streets that I've traversed while running rather than biking and includes the county as well, but overall pretty similar!

http://www.scribblemaps.com/create/#id= ... =12&t=road
Damn dude, that's quite a spread! My location is in a pretty good area with fairly high traffic, but coming from the era of "man, nobody knows who or where anybody is on the internet, better not even list my city!!", it's neat to see when you road past my place!

I'm also drunk, so there's THAT, too.