Ryden/Stockpen caves at Duke Pulaski County

Urban exploration in Missouri
Vet1830
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Ryden/Stockpen caves at Duke Pulaski County

Post by Vet1830 »

I have a map and there is a trail off the road not much of an area to park but it is do able.

So of course the Pit is bared up but other 2 are not

StockPen Cave is interesting... has nice clear water flowing out of it and if you crawl way into the back of it there is a lot of bones and such washed along the sides.

Vet1830
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Ryden/Stockpen caves at Duke Pulaski County

Post by Vet1830 »

Facing stockpen to you right at 90degres is ryden cave

I did not have right cloths on to explore this one hopefully I can soon an would not like to do it alone. but information shows its not a small one.

rosco pico
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Ryden/Stockpen caves at Duke Pulaski County

Post by rosco pico »

The one that is barred... is that the cave Bretz refers to as "Sealed Cave" on page 421? Or is it a second entrance to Ryden Cave..
Here's how he writes it... "The "air hole", seen along the trail down to the cave entrance, is 50 feet deep and no larger in cross section than a dug well. From inside the cave [Ryden?] daylight can be seen up through this well"
It's a little confusing.
Im Himmel Gibt's Kein Bier.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

If i understand your question correctly Ryden cave is sealed, but with a way around it to enter it. There is a spot inside the cave, that you can look straight up and out of the cave (this spot is also sealed, which is probably good to prevent you from walking along and falling into the cave). There was a turtle in this spot on the cave when i went, that appeared to have fell through the bars.

There is "sealed cave" also, i have marked in the same county, but it looks like its ryden cave to me.

If your talking about stockpen cave, that is next to it, it is not sealed.
rosco pico
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by rosco pico »

Thanks for shedding light on this, and my best to you, liesreality.

In "the Caves Of Missouri" the author seems to describe a third cave in the area, which "had no natural opening" ("Sealed Cave"). It seems I misunderstood Bretz' description of the area to indicate a third distinct cave system, and not just an "air hole" into Ryden.

Perhaps there has been a drift in meaning of the term "natural". I consider a "natural" entrance to be one you don't have to dig or blast open: one that occurs without human intervention. Perhaps at the time it was understood that a "natural entrance" was one that somebody didn't need ropes or special equipment to enter.

Thanks again.
Vet1830
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Vet1830 »

Rosco,

When I was in the area I walked around that area and to be honest its 30 acres and I have a map from CCSM and only shows 2 caves one sinkhole.

rosco pico
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by rosco pico »

I believe I know the answer to my original question. Bretz mentions a third cave within a mile of Ryden, but says it had no natural entrance. I now believe he is referring to cave on the topo as "Sealed Cave" (please see the arrow, the Ryden area is circled) Image

Also, I heard from a source who I believe with my life that Ryden is gated just past the entrance. I don't know whether the cave on the topo (sealed cave)? is gated, but I bet a local plot map could put you in touch with the owner to ask permission to visit.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Re: RE: Ryden/Stockpen caves at Duke Pulaski County

Post by liesreality »

rosco pico wrote: Also, I heard from a source who I believe with my life that Ryden is gated just past the entrance.
This is true.

As far as sealed cave, i sent you what info i have on them.
rosco pico
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by rosco pico »

Thanks for the info, liesreality. Doesn't sound like the other "Sealed Cave" goes very far... I'm not sure whether the one in the Duke area goes very far either, since Bretz didn't bother to explore it.

One never knows though.

In my experience some of the neatest caves were either undiscovered or were not pushed very far in the 1950's.