SubLunar's Blog

Read about other UE sites/blogs/channels/etc. Announce your website updates here!
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: SubLunar

Post by BagHead727 »

Nice! I'm surprised it took this long for you to go explore this place.
aka "That Guy"
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: SubLunar's Blog

Post by SubLunar »

It is now my great pleasure to present...

Asylum #3.

As far back as I can remember, I've dreamed of this place. Ok well maybe not this place exactly but I've always been fascinated by the old school stereotypical "Insane Asylum" and the way mental health has been dealt with on the institutional level.

I've always had an interest in how the mind works and how it malfunctions. In an effort to learn as much as I can about this topic, I've dabbled in insanity myself. I can empathize, to an extent, with the feelings of patients in places like this. I've been committed "with a stay" to the division of youth services, where my close friend spent a year and a half of his life. I narrowly avoided a similar fate that year.. I'm also equally interested in the unconscious/subconscious mind and the hidden faculties of the brain and have read a lot in this regard.

As a history nerd, insanity junkie and architecture addict, this place is among my most prized explorations to date.

The first two asylums were a result of our own hard work and dedication to the pursuit of adventure (I was determined to make this year the year of the asylum and at 3 now, we've tripled the original goal I set for myself), but this location is a little more well known and I received some local assistance with it. Still, I will keep it generic and vague because I don't crave google traffic or facebook likes enough to call it out by name.
Last edited by SubLunar on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ucitygal
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Re: RE: SubLunar's Blog

Post by ucitygal »

Oh holy... that is AMAZING. I am so happy for you! This is a beauty... I really hope it will be saved!
SubLunar wrote:It is now my great pleasure to present...

Asylum #3.

As far back as I can remember, I've dreamed of this place. Ok well maybe not this place exactly but I've always been fascinated by the old school stereotypical "Insane Asylum" and the way mental health has been dealt with on the institutional level.

I've always had an interest in how the mind works and how it malfunctions. In an effort to learn as much as I can about this topic, I've dabbled in insanity myself. I can empathize, to an extent, with the feelings of patients in places like this. I've been committed "with a stay" to the division of youth services, where my close friend spent a year and a half of his life. I narrowly avoided a similar fate that year.. I'm also equally interested in the unconscious/subconscious mind and the hidden faculties of the brain and have read a lot in this regard.

As a history nerd, insanity junkie and architecture addict, this place is among my most prized explorations to date.

The first two asylums were a result of my own hard work and dedication to the pursuit of adventure (I was determined to make this year the year of the asylum and at 3 now, I've tripled the original goal I set for myself), but this location is a little more well known and I received some local assistance with it. Still, I will keep it generic and vague because I don't crave google traffic or facebook likes enough to call it out by name.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Now for something completely different..

Military Aircraft Boneyard
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: RE: SubLunar's Blog

Post by mindwaave »

Hell yes! Awesome!
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Saint Apocalypse Church

I recently told some people that this church is not abandoned. Seemed like only a couple years ago, I set off the alarm here. But I guess it could have been 5 or 6 years by now. Time fucking flies... I knew it was still in use by a small congregation. I didn't know they finally left recently. The last congregation didn't do the place any favors though..
mrjoelabs
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by mrjoelabs »

Hey Sub great pics as usual. How was access to that boneyard? I have always figured on security, dogs...barbed wire etc. Driven by many times wondering. I assume you went on a weekend when "business" was closed?

thanks
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

ok ill ask since I love old planes is this the place in arazonia??? im thinking not but hey you never know
shoot me a pm if you don't mind
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I'm thinking I just got lucky being there at the right time when no-one was around. Your mileage may vary.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

WOW I just looked up the aircraft boneyard ( the one out in the desert) they say that at one time they had over 1000 B 52s and today its under 100??? man that sucks anybody knwo if they give tours

great pic as always
mrjoelabs
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by mrjoelabs »

Thank you sub. I may have to roll the dice.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

ropingk wrote:WOW I just looked up the aircraft boneyard ( the one out in the desert) they say that at one time they had over 1000 B 52s and today its under 100??? man that sucks anybody knwo if they give tours

great pic as always
Davis Monthan is on my to-do list.. but it might be too depressing for me.

Yes, they do give tours via the Pima Air Museum; https://www.showclix.com/event/3810186

Maybe at one point they've had 1000 aircraft, but not solely B52s. Between Seattle and Wichita, only 742 (+2 XB-52s) were produced.. 70-some of which are still flying (all H models.. and will be into the 2040's) and many more in museums.

At a quick glance, I counted 97 B52s. The ones chopped into pieces were done so as part of the START treaty. There are others cannibalized to support the current fleet.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

probaly was over 1000 planes Man id love to make that trip
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

When a recon turns into a nice explore

The Brick Factory
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

As always AWESOME WORK wonder why it went under bricks are still a huge building item????