Abandoned School House

Urban exploration in Arkansas
brettp2004
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Abandoned School House

Post by brettp2004 »

Here's a couple pictures of an abandoned school house we checked out on a trip down the buffalo. There are a couple cots and stuff in the building for campers but I haven't talked to many people who knew this was here. It's called cold springs school. There are some horse trails to it but I think the easiest way is from the buffalo. Only down side is there isn't much river access on this part of the river. Anyone else ever check it out?
Attachments
SH3.jpg
SH1.jpg
Aerohog
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Abandoned School House

Post by Aerohog »

Interesting-any more pix of the whole building? The brickwork around the entrance and small windows is unusual if not weird. Appears to be in pretty decent condition.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Re: Abandoned School House

Post by ropingk »

not brick ROCKS
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
brettp2004
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by brettp2004 »

I'll have to find some other pictures. I think I've got some more. I believe the building is somewhat kept up by some organization.
jboyd
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Abandoned School House

Post by jboyd »

My family owned this old schoolhouse and Cold Spring until they were forced to sell it to the national river in the 1970s.
It was known as the Hepsey Schoolhouse to the local residents. The name of the community that was located on this part of the Buffalo River in Marion county was Hepsey.
The schoolhouse is used as an emergency shelter now.
Lightining hit the front porch in the late 1960s and shattered the concrete around one of the supports. From the pictures it looks like that damage has been repaired.
I think it was built in the 1930s by the CCC.
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by testube »

Cool pix - yeah, I was going to suggest that the rock work resembled CCC work. I think there's an old school similar in appearance in Green Forest, if memory serves, but it is larger.