Former Saint Louis Kirkbride - Institution for the Insane

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Former Saint Louis Kirkbride - Institution for the Insane

Post by SubLunar »

St. Vincent's Hospital was built in 1858 as an "Institution for the Insane". The hospital, occupying a city block, opened with three patients, but numbers were soon swelled by the closing of the state mental institutions as a result of the disruptions of the Civil War. By the 1870's, St. Vincent's Asylum was "one of the most renowned in the west."

The 1930 St. Louis Census lists 357 residents. By 1978, it was unoccupied. It is the current home of the Castle Park Apartments (or the Normandy Nursing Center or both...).

"Unoccupied" circa 1978

7301 St Charles Rock Rd, St Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri 63133

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/shpo/nps-nr/82004722.pdf

-

They don't like people taking pictures outside. I went back in 2009 and was chased off within minutes. A security guard promptly came out and infromed me that this is a HUD subsidized building, therefore it's government property and I can't take pictures there. You can see the building from the roof of the Soap Plant.

SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Former Saint Louis Kirkbride - Institution for the Insan

Post by SubLunar »

I wish there were more buildings like this...
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Re: Former Saint Louis Kirkbride - Institution for the Insan

Post by redox »

Yeah I see that place all the time from the metro-link on the way to UMSL. The place is unreal in how big it is. Too bad it's not still abandoned :P
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

redox wrote:Too bad it's not still abandoned :P
When I found out about it, with the status "Vacant/Not in Use", I flipped out. But then when I learned of its current use, I'll admit I was bummed.
VanHammersly
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by VanHammersly »

I inquired with management about a tour. They declined.

Its southern neighbor might be worthwhile.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Are you referring to Laboure Hall? I never went there once I heard it was gutted.
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

Why is every single car in the parking lot black lol.... Weird.
THE THREAD KILLER!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I noticed that too. :)

But the aerials show other colors, so it seems that all the cars by that entrance are black.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Unholy_Twist
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Unholy_Twist »

I've been in here. I used to do plumbing work with Bore's Sewer Service out of Arnold and we had a call for a seriously backed up drain. I ended up having to go down into the basement and seeing how they didn't renevate the basement at all. It looked almost like the hallways and the rooms off of them were just dug out. Some of the rooms still had like polished steel mirrors on the wall. The guard had to take me down there and he was telling me "ghost" stories about the place. We had to walk for what seemed like ever to find the pipe I needed and then he left me to do my thing. It was creepy after the stories and how well it was (not) lit. After I got done he let me explore a little down there with him at my side.

He even told me all about the 5th level and how there was still strange shit going on up in it. Half the staff stayed away from going up there. One of the stories was someone up there had caught on fire and burned to death when there was still wards up there. It was bad enough that they shut the whole top floor down. And they never figured out how it happened. He said they just used it for storage but it was mostly just wide open.

I still think about the stories he and a few others had told me. Wish I could verify atleast some of them.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Cool story, thanks.

My grandmother remembers hearing about this place back in the day, it was part of the vernacular; She said if someone was especially weird or crazy they would say they're "Going to Saint Vincent's".
Avenue Gent
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Avenue Gent »

My grandparents and had a house 3 doors down from the entrance in the '30's, its now vacant. My dad lives like 2 blocks over from it and you can see the spires from his driveway. He takes his dogs for a walk every evening through St. Vincents park, then up through the gate to the hospital and has never had a problem with anyone saying anything. The boarded up building on the left just before the entrance is pretty neat. My dad got in through a back entrance and wandered around a bit. I'm planning on getting in myself for a few pics soon.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I think the boarded building you're referring to is known as Laboure Hall and I have not been inside it. I heard it was gutted and that there's not much left to see in there.
lindsey.michelle
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by lindsey.michelle »

I was at Incarnate word last night watching a soccer game, after i went to check out st. vincents since i could see it peeking out from over the woods... i've beeen wanting to go here for a long time, i love the kirkbride buildings. This one seriously took my breath away. Its huge, so intricate... its amazing. I tried to get in a few doors, but they are all locked up tight and you need a card or code to get in. I would really like to get into this place , if anyone has any connections please contact me :)
promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

If it's HUD subsidized, I'm almost afraid to see what the tenants have done to the place. Just sayin...
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Was browsing movies and just watched the preview for this and thought some of the buildings looked familiar.... http://www.redbox.com/movies/the-exorcist-file

Haven't seen the movie and don't really plan to. This is the first time I've heard of it.
aka "That Guy"