Favorite Floats

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Favorite Floats

Post by jammer_smith »

Did the James from Shelvin to Hootentown last weekend. Man that float was boring. I am all about scenery and exciting water. There were a couple of bluffs, but nothing too interesting, and the majority of the float was flat, wide, and slow. I brought fishing gear, but there were just way too many people on the river to try and fish.

My favorite float is Upper Jack's fork, but it gets super low late in summer, so you have to go early. My second favorite float is the lower Jack's Fork. Mammoth River in northern arkansas is fast and fun and has good fishing, but is a major party river so it usualy has tons of people on it.

Also, what is your preferred thing to float on? I acutally love my inflatable kayak. It's tought enough to handle everything I've taken it to thus far, no leaks or pops. It's obviously much easier to store and transport than a regular hard body kayak.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I have a Madd River 18 ft Discovery Kevlar, about 85 lbs. Had it for 15 years, still in great shape. Handles great, never flipped. Shelvin to Hootentown is a boring float. Delawaretown to Shelvin is about the same, but better for fishing. Of course, there is one section where there is no way through and you will have to wade brush, but there are some neat features to make up for that.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

My husband was disappointed in the fishing from Kerr to JRO. That's the trophy section, but we didn't see much. Quite a few suckers, which is no surprise there.

We have a Triton, a jet boat and several canoes. Our favorite canoe is a 17' Old Town that we bought off a guy who used to take it up to the Boundary Waters.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

Jammer_Smith, have you done the Spring River down by Mammoth Springs? Can be crowded, but there are several fun drops on that float.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

RE: Favorite Floats

Post by jammer_smith »

That's what I meant. The river I called "Mammoth River" in my post above is Spring River, just forgot the proper name. I used to live in Thayer, right across the border, so yeah I've floated it several times. Very fun. Nice and deep and fast all year round thanks to the giant (dare I say Mammoth) spring at it's headwater.

I love all of those little stair-steppy mini waterfalls, and the current carries you along at a nice pace. It's a blast in a Kayak. It was actually on that river that I fell in love with Kayaks over canoes.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

the gasconade is a ok river in a john boat i guess it would be good for a canno or kyak
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead