First Time Morel Hunter: Tips?

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

First Time Morel Hunter: Tips?

Post by jammer_smith »

So I harvested the heck out of some Chantrelles last summer, but this will be my first year Morel hunting. I figure they are just about to pop based on what I've read. there will be rain and warm nights the rest of this week, so this weekend should be good (I hope).

Does anyone know of any good general areas to look? If you feel like sharing but don't wanna make your morel grounds public knowledge, please PM me. I've heard they grow in similar soil to Chantrelles, in which case I am hitting up Ritter Spring, cause I hauled loads of Chantrelles out of there.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Gotofar
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: First Time Morel Hunter: Tips?

Post by Gotofar »

Look near sycamore trees is wjat I've alwaus heard. I can tell them by the whitesh thin bark they have.
Gotofar
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Gotofar »

I've heard around war eagle mill in those valleys is a good area.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Elm trees, undisturbed leaf beds. If you see mayapple sprouts coming up, you're looking in good habitat. South and east facing hillsides, bottomland.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
tomgallopavo
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: First Time Morel Hunter: Tips?

Post by tomgallopavo »

Stumps early, little black ones first, then yellows by stumps, then big yellows just about anywhere in the timber where you were finding the earlier ones...
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Went out and spent a few hours yesterday looking around both Sequiota and Ritter. Nothing. The soil seems pretty moist, and it was certainly warm with lots of mayapple and early blossoms all over the place, but no fungus at all. I was keeping an eye out for Oyster mushrooms as well but didn't spot anything.

Maybe it needs a few more days, or one more good rain?
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I've poked around a little and not found any. More moisture would be good.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

RE: First Time Morel Hunter: Tips?

Post by slow_walker »

My family members in the Cassville area have found a few. My cousin posted a pic of 23 they found bit they were a bit on the small side.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Found four today about the size of the end of my thumb. It was after it rained a little. They were still growing. My brother found four also in a different spot. Too bad it's going to get so cold after the rain tonight and shut them down again.
― Ken Ham
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

So, Morel season has long passed, and I only got 4! Better luck next year I guess. However, with all of the heat and rain, Chantrelles are out in force. They are all over Ritter Spring park. Also I have found a hen of the woods, a chicken of the woods, and a good cluster of oyster mushroom so far this year. All good stuff!

The boletes are up in force as well, but most of the boletes I find are the bitter variety and I don't like them so I ignore them as a rule.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

iuts might dry in my part of the world
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I found some chantarelles the other day. Brother found a chicken of the woods. I've never had hen of the woods and would like to try it. Never had oyster mushrooms either. Need more rain.
― Ken Ham
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

Need a lot of rain rian for like a week nice and slow and steady
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead