Griffin Memorial in Norman

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
arieluthien
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Griffin Memorial in Norman

Post by arieluthien »

There's a large gothic-style building on the premisis of Griffin Memorial (psychiatric) Hospital in Norman (formerly Central State). On the corner of Robinson and 12th. The building has been vacant for as long as I've been alive, but it looks like they may be fixing to either tear it down or work on it. I've never been inside, though one of my friends says he did and got sick, so be careful! I'll try to get some pics soon.
campscottfreak
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Griffin Memorial in Norman

Post by campscottfreak »

I drive by that building all the time. They have it all taped off w/orange tape now. My boyfriend and I all were talking about how fun it'd be to sneak in one night! I think it would be creepy like no other!
Okie from Muskogee (not really but it works!)
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

This'll teach me to be late to the party, won't it?

As for Griffin, I don't recommend you go since the Norman Police tend to be a tad militant. I was there once years ago (not as a guest) and I swore I would never go back. When I did arrive, the place had a creepy feel to it anyway and at the time the older part of the hospital was still open. I was walking down a hallway with lights on at the bend of one hallway and the end of another hallway with almost no natural light except for what was coming from underneath doorways along the hallway. Not exactly the most comforting of circumstances as you can imagine.

Well, I'm about half-way down the hallway and I'm already on edge and feeling creeped out when all of a sudden I hear something "scratching" behind one of the doors. That didn't exactly put me at ease. I go on down the hallway and hear more scratching, and then more scratching, and then louder scratching! Considering the the fact that the hair on the back of my neck was standing on end, I ran (no, I didn't walk) to the closest nurse's station, dropped off what I was there to deliver, got the signature on the paperwork and calmly left the area. Once I was out of viewing range I ran down 3 flights of stairs, back to the company truck, and drove away as fast as the speed limit would allow me.

I've now seen photo's of different asylum's (hospitals) in different states and have decided that I'd much rather go to any other abandoned house than ever step foot back in Griffin.

It's nice to be able to tell that little true tale of my life.
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

sweet
i want to go
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

Hey, if you want to go, more power to you! No way in hell I'll ever go back, not after that little scare. Whether it was real or imagined, that tends to cloud ones thoughts over time.

Of course now I like to go to abandoned places but not by myself. I'd much rather there be a few people along. I may be scared, but I'm not stupid!
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.