Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Urban exploration in Kansas
adamanthea
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Post by adamanthea »

:D Me and my spouse and daughter recently moved to the Kansas City area from a small town. A few years ago we lived in Topeka and I flipped through some channels and came across KTWU/PBS Sunflower Journeys and they had a segment on the Ammunition plant. I grew up fascinated by old buildings etc. but never was able to go exploring. We took Hwy 10 to Overland Park one day and I saw the water towers and immediately wanted to go sniff around. As you can probably tell, I still have not yet been able to get close to it :(
wishfulthinker
mrdeadman1
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by mrdeadman1 »

anyone been out there lately? went out a couple months ago in the dark, couldnt see well enough to move around much but did check out Richard's house and lake as well as what we thought were bunkers but turned out to be some kind of boilers. wanting to hit it again if anyone is interested in going with, I have a great way in.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

next time I go to KC, count me in.
adamanthea
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by adamanthea »

:D I would love a chance to go out there but it may be a while before I even get close to free time enough from the daily routine. Since it would be my first time, It would probably be better having people along that had been there before. I'll keep checking back.
wishfulthinker
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Post by mindwaave »

Does anyone have any recent information?
Preservation over plunder.
jimmy111
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by jimmy111 »

The development people at Sunflower have leased the hunting and fishing rights to an outfitter organization that will be providing hunting opportunities and selling hunts at the Sunflower location beginning with the Turkey season in April. They will also be taking people fishing through the summer and there will be a lot of deer and waterfowl hunting during the fall. They will begin developing hunting stand locations and do quite a bit of work out there once the weather settles down. It is my understanding that anyone caught on the property for any reason will be held for the police and arrested. There will be increased patrols once the hunting actually begins. I would suggest not going out there for any reason - all of the safety concerns aside.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

True, but they can't really hold you until police arrive unless you're a willing subject. I'd be hightailing it.. What are they gonna do, shoot you?
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Damn. The tiniest possibility of getting permission would make it worth asking, but if there's no money in it, they'll likely just say no.
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

true...
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

So offer them some money. :wink:
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

or just go and do it
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Cade
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Cade »

Or just don't bother, if you're careful you can be in and out without issue. Just don't approach from the east, apparently that's where the cops are. My friend and I have explored the majority of the central structures and have a detailed map built of the buildings. It's a really cool place, PM me for tips, and be careful not to get caught.
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by peterbillionaire »

On Sunday, we parked in the demolished housing development at Lexington and W 102 St. We parked on Hercules Rd., which is invisible from Lexington. About five hours later, we returned to the car and drove away. There were two police cars waiting for us at Lexington Ave. They stopped us for about 30 minutes and let us go. They patrol Hercules Rd for illegal dumping. My friend and I had been up to some funny business, and I think the cops knew it. We had not gone into Sunflower, but the cops made a big production of warning us away from it. “You will be charged”, pollution, hazards, etc. They specifically warned against entering Sunflower from the north or “sneaking in” from the south. Those cops had us figured out. I thought I was dead. Then they let us go.

https://goo.gl/maps/6MRAKFZPCAG2
mazacon
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by mazacon »

peterbillionaire wrote:On Sunday, we parked in the demolished housing development at Lexington and W 102 St. We parked on Hercules Rd., which is invisible from Lexington. About five hours later, we returned to the car and drove away. There were two police cars waiting for us at Lexington Ave. They stopped us for about 30 minutes and let us go. They patrol Hercules Rd for illegal dumping. My friend and I had been up to some funny business, and I think the cops knew it. We had not gone into Sunflower, but the cops made a big production of warning us away from it. “You will be charged”, pollution, hazards, etc. They specifically warned against entering Sunflower from the north or “sneaking in” from the south. Those cops had us figured out. I thought I was dead. Then they let us go.

https://goo.gl/maps/6MRAKFZPCAG2
Do you plan on going back and exploring sunflower? Id really like to get inside and check it out, with the right precautions of course. The place is massive.
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by peterbillionaire »

Undecided......