Caboose

Urban exploration in Missouri
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Caboose

Post by construct_this »

I heard of a story of a caboose in the woods a few years back and the general area of where it was... With a GIS search and some aerial photos I was able to find it on some abandoned tracks. I can't run around telling people where it is, because I am sure the landowners would not be happy, but I will post pics as soon as I make the trip to go see it. Has anyone else ever found anything like this?
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Re: Caboose

Post by gimpface »

No, but that sounds pretty cool. Let us know if you find any shackles in it.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
cleverusername
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by cleverusername »

That sounds pretty awesome. I don't live in missouri anymore but i still like to use google earth to look around there for neat stuff... Never found anything like that though. Mostly just big plants and mills and stuff in odd locations. I found a giant pink stuffed rabbit that must be miles long in Piemonte Italy (not in missouri I know, off topic) using google earth. Weird stuff lol.
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Caboose

Post by construct_this »

I spend hours on Google Earth through the week, but I have also began using GIS websites so I can see who owns the property. Generally the GIS satellite images tend to be better quality anyways.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: Caboose

Post by Nicotti »

construct_this wrote:I spend hours on Google Earth through the week, but I have also began using GIS websites so I can see who owns the property. Generally the GIS satellite images tend to be better quality anyways.
That depends on your source. For instance the assessor's GIS for StL City is awesome, the assessor's GIS for Jefferson County is horrifying.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by construct_this »

Well I just use the websites that the county provides. I haven't spent anytime on Greene County, but tons on Polk, Dallas, Hickory, Dade, etc....
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Yeah.

GIS is what I do so my ears always perk up when there's talk about it. :)

-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Assuming you have the skills and software to deal with the file formats (mostly MrSID)... you can get aerial imagery of MO from MSDIS (pronounced Miss Diss), it's where we always got our imagery data for school projects.

-Ayn Rand
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

Nicotti wrote: GIS is what I do so my ears always perk up when there's talk about it. :)
hey me too! Mostly LiDAR though. ArcGIS forever! No actually fuck ArcGIS.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

What you don't like 10?

If only the licenses were cheaper... oh all the spiffy stuff I could do with layers on ArcMap.

-Ayn Rand
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

Nicotti wrote:What you don't like 10?

If only the licenses were cheaper... oh all the spiffy stuff I could do with layers on ArcMap.
We don't have 10 yet... expensive license is right. There's so much to know about Arc that it can be a bit overwhelming, most people I know that use it regularly and have for a long time still have issues with it.
construct_this wrote: I have also began using GIS websites so I can see who owns the property.
That's probably the best use for those county assessor GIS sites. I use them a lot to find out who owns the property around caves I want to visit. Some sites even tell you when houses were built (I think the St Louis site does that) and it's interesting to go looking for old houses and stuff you know of.

As for finding random train cars, I found a stretch of about 10 grainers alongside an active BNSF line here in Rolla, and they just sat there for about two and a half years so I spent a lot of time around them, respecting railroad property and never trespassing of course. Then one day they disappeared, I guess they wanted them back.
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by construct_this »

I think it would make a great cabin. If I was single I would for sure buy one and build it into a cabin!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

The town I grew up in, Lebanon, MO, has a caboose sitting at one of their parks. But they always kept the doors locked & you had to have a good reason to be able to get the key from the parks dept. office.

I got one week of using ArcGIS 10 on my last job before my contract was up, it's got some great new features.

We used the assessor's pages to help with finding addresses cause our parcel GIS layer had bad or missing data for about 10%-15% of the parcels total. One of my co-workers would look at the names of the people that owned the multimillion dollars houses in Ladue and then google their names. He be like, "Hey this house is owned by one of the co-owners of the RAMs." Or, "This house is owned by some high up dude at Budweiser." I was like, "That's great dude... I'm going to back to working now... thanks for letting me know though." :lol:

-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I used to hang out in a couple of old cabooses in a riverfront park when I was younger. They've since moved and renovated them. Good times.
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by construct_this »

Seems like every old town had a caboose somewhere until the mid 90's. Usually at a park or school... Its too bad vandals took their toll on ours at my elementary school.