Ghost Town of Aldrich

Urban exploration in Missouri
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Ghost Town of Aldrich

Post by Sertile »

I recently returned from a pleasant trip to the nearby town of Aldrich, MO, a little place on the eastern end of Stockton Lake. While not technically a "ghost town," I think it has a high enough percentage of abandonation to qualify. Here are a few sample pics - Enjoy!
Attachments
Welcome To...
Welcome To...
Sign.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 11860 times
Church
Church
Church.jpg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 11860 times
House
House
House.jpg (41.87 KiB) Viewed 11860 times
Bait Shop
Bait Shop
Bait.jpg (21.39 KiB) Viewed 11860 times
Shack
Shack
Shack.jpg (40.73 KiB) Viewed 11860 times
Master-Baiter
Master-Baiter
MB.jpg (32.88 KiB) Viewed 11860 times
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

RE: Ghost Town of Aldrich

Post by Chris »

Master-Baiter??!?! LOL!!! You've got to be kidding me! No wonder anyone lives there any more!

Did you not go into any of these buildings?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I bet they all died blind with hairy palms!
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

All productivity and sales stopped, causeing the town to go bankrupt and sell out to salsa farmers when their only horse died of boredom.

An exerpt from the daily plantation in 1873.

(j/k)
----------This space for rent----------
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I've seen several bait shops named Master Baits/Master Baiter, etc. I've never stopped in, but I always wanted to ask the owner if the name was intentional.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Yep, that's right. The full title is "Home of the Master Baiter." It's kind of a joke, locally. I can't remember the place ever actually being open (or any other place in Aldrich for that matter, though the church seems recently abandoned). It was reopened temporarily a few years back as a used car dealership, but for whatever reason they chose to leave the sign as-is. Business never really took off believe it or not.

And no, I didn't get out and explore any of these places (you can tell they were all taken from inside my truck), but I've been in so many abandoned houses at this point it's really hard to get excited about another batch of them... especially with 73 Aldrichers lurking about.

(Correction: 75)
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
darkcloud617
Sir Talks-a-lot
Sir Talks-a-lot

Post by darkcloud617 »

where exactly was this place at?
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Polk County. It's just a funny little town on the extreme southern tip of Stockton Lake. There are people who live there (I actually went to school with all of them), but the majority of the population lives in a trailer park on the other side of the lake. There's also a waterfowl refuge, an abandoned bridge, and some other cool stuff in the neighborhood.

A nearby (paved) road actually dips in one side of the lake and emerges somewhere on the other side. Another road is underwater 9/10ths of the time, but is perfectly navigable when lake levels are down. This was all from before they built the dam in Stockton.