Oceola, Mo - Poor Folks Home/Asylum

Urban exploration in Missouri
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Oceola, Mo - Poor Folks Home/Asylum

Post by SubLunar »

Quoth a friend of mine in the remodeling business:

"just outside of Oceola, approximately 50 Mins from Butler, Mo there is an old "Poor Folks Home", and "X-Insane Asylum", remodeled into a once dinning/Bar. It is now vacant and was built in 1853. The upstairs has an L hallway with approximately 30 rooms set up like that of a hotel, perfect for a B&B. It is in need of repair, but has lots of potential. As far as Haunted, We just finished investigating the place and it has a lot of activity.

I posted this to kcurbex a while back, but I thought I might try here as well.

Edit: Spelling: Osceola.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Oceola, Mo - Poor Folks Home/Asylum

Post by SubLunar »

SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I'm coming up with this address, but google and bing are both pointing to two different places. The satellite imagery is terrible..

6110 NE 250 Rd, Osceola, MO
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Re: Oceola, Mo - Poor Folks Home/Asylum

Post by redox »

damn holy fuck that looks cool.
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

but I can't be all gettin' squeezed, scratched, or ass raped by apparitions
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

redox wrote:but I can't be all gettin' squeezed, scratched, or ass raped by apparitions
because you prefer real humans, and some furry mammals, to do those things to you instead?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Nicotti wrote:
redox wrote:but I can't be all gettin' squeezed, scratched, or ass raped by apparitions
because you prefer real humans, and some furry mammals, to do those things to you instead?
Are you hinting that you are both human and furry mammal? Your avatard sure looks that way...
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

redox wrote:
Nicotti wrote:
Are you hinting that you are both human and furry mammal? Your avatard sure looks that way...
Are you hinting you'd rather have me do those things to you?

-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

-Ayn Rand
Athena
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Athena »

SubLunar wrote:Quoth a friend of mine in the remodeling business:

"just outside of Oceola, approximately 50 Mins from Butler, Mo there is an old "Poor Folks Home", and "X-Insane Asylum", remodeled into a once dinning/Bar. It is now vacant and was built in 1853. The upstairs has an L hallway with approximately 30 rooms set up like that of a hotel, perfect for a B&B. It is in need of repair, but has lots of potential. As far as Haunted, We just finished investigating the place and it has a lot of activity.

Hey there, I'm with a company called Spooked TV and we make paranormal documentaries for the SyFy and Chiller Channels.. we are doing a show on the Civil War, shooting this fall and next year, to be released next year some time. This location seems like a great one. Any word on who owns it or who we can contact to do an investigation? I'd love to chat with you more about it.

We did a show called Children of the Grave that had Zombie Road in it and Pythian Castle in Springfield and we are releasing Children of the Grave 2 for Christmas which includes Lemp and Ashmore Estates which was a former poor farm in Ashmore, Illinois.

I'm from St. Louis so I'm very excited that we are working in Missouri now and will be able to showcase some of the amazing stories we have here.

This place you posted is amazing! Thanks for the awesome info! I'm also with a group out of Alton/Godfrey, Illinois called Riverbend Paranormal and we are always looking for great places to investigate and at Spooked TV we are always looking for epic locations and Class 'A' evidence.

If you know of any groups in the MO/IL areas that would be interested in collaborating with us, please let me know. We are always happy to give credit for any locations and evidence given to us. :)

You can check out our trailers at www.spookedtv.com or on Youtube under SpookedTv to get an idea of what we do.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Athena wrote:
SubLunar wrote:Quoth a friend of mine in the remodeling business:

Hey there, I'm with a company called Spooked TV and we make paranormal documentaries for the SyFy and Chiller Channels.. we are doing a show on the Civil War, shooting this fall and next year, to be released next year some time. This location seems like a great one. Any word on who owns it or who we can contact to do an investigation? I'd love to chat with you more about it.

We did a show called Children of the Grave that had Zombie Road in it and Pythian Castle in Springfield and we are releasing Children of the Grave 2 for Christmas which includes Lemp and Ashmore Estates which was a former poor farm in Ashmore, Illinois.

I'm from St. Louis so I'm very excited that we are working in Missouri now and will be able to showcase some of the amazing stories we have here.

This place you posted is amazing! Thanks for the awesome info! I'm also with a group out of Alton/Godfrey, Illinois called Riverbend Paranormal and we are always looking for great places to investigate and at Spooked TV we are always looking for epic locations and Class 'A' evidence.

If you know of any groups in the MO/IL areas that would be interested in collaborating with us, please let me know. We are always happy to give credit for any locations and evidence given to us. :)

You can check out our trailers at www.spookedtv.com or on Youtube under SpookedTv to get an idea of what we do.
Regarding the Oceola Asylym, this thread encompasses the extent of my knowledge. I heard about it from a friend and I began my research here.

If you're looking for locations in the Saint Louis area, then you've come to the right place. I can be some help there..

I actually have some "class A evidence" in the form of one photo of a "ghost" in a legendary "haunted" location in Saint Louis...
Athena
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Athena »

Awesome, I'd love to sit and chat with you about it sometime. I'll pm you my email. :)

Thanks for your help, friend!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I should mention that the sole focus of mine and many others on this website is exploration and historical research of our architectural heritage.

When it comes to the paranormal, I am fairly skeptical and don't do paranormal research of any kind.

I have gone alone into abandoned hospitals and incinerators and other places. I've explored TONS of locations in and around Saint Louis. I explored all of Alcatraz, including some abandoned missile bases and other places in San Francisco alone as well.

And the only paranormal evidence I have to show for all of that is one good photo..
Athena
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Athena »

I originally found this site and used to peruse it for purposes of uncovering the history of the places and going and getting some photos taken. I love photography. Then my father passed away in 2006 and I had some strange occurrences which brought my interest into the paranormal back into my life. So I decided to check into some of the places with that aspect in mind. What I found was extremely interesting... my interest wasn't so much *that* a place was haunted as to *why* it would be haunted. Usually, history plays a large part in finding that information. So here I am. :)

Thanks again for your info, whether it be haunted or historic, or just a beautiful place to get some great photos, I'm madly in love with Missouri. Especially the Ozarks. :) You can find some amazing places when driving around looking for fishing spots! lol
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

In that case, then yes this is certainly the right place and I can probably be of some use to you.