Zilla School

Urban exploration in Kansas
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Zilla School

Post by Scout »

This school is out in the country in my county. The Humboldt School District took it over and it was a K-8 school for a long time. I don't remember what it ended up being, but it didn't close too terribly long ago. I'm guessing about 2000 or maybe later. I walked all around it during the middle of the day. Quite a few houses right around it. It was locked up tight. No way to affect entry without B&E so I contented myself with these pics. Hope y'all enjoy.

Entrances to the gym.

Main doors.

Back.

Nice bb court in back of the school. Wish I had it for my kids.

Service entries.

Gym from the side. The architecture on this building was strange.

A look inside from the main entrance.

Asbestos warning sign.

"That old hag hates my ass."
SweetTater78
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Zilla School

Post by SweetTater78 »

Awesome! Where is this located? Tried to do a search on it, but nothing...
Livin' in the ICT!
wlhyatt
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Zilla School

Post by wlhyatt »

It must be somewhere near Humboldt, between Iola and Chanute. I used to do quite a bit of work in that area and haven't heard of this town/school, but that doesn't surprise me as most of the time the only thing I wanted to do when I got to that area was get out of it. SE Kansas as a whole is rather depressing, but for some reason Iola depresses me even more.

That doesn't keep me from wanting to look around, especially around that abandoned rail yard in Iola, but I probably wont be able to do that any time soon.
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

Scout wrote:. No way to affect entry without B&E so I contented myself with these pics.
Pansy! Nice find though! ;)
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Fiend wrote:
Scout wrote:. No way to affect entry without B&E so I contented myself with these pics.
Pansy! Nice find though! ;)
Can't brag about it being a "find" as I've known where it was for a long time. I just thought even if I didn't go in that maybe I should document it since I don't know how many people have.

As I said, it was used as a school not long ago, but I can't remember how long its been shut down. I'm nearing 50, and I can remember it going strong. I'm thinking only maybe 5-10 years back, but who knows? The memory grows weaker.

It is probably five miles east of Humboldt on the blacktop running to US 59 HWY and Elsmore. Or you can take the main street of LaHarpe from US 54 HWY south as far as it goes. Zilla is right east of the T where going east takes you to Elsmore and west takes you to Humboldt. IIRC. It is kinda in the middle of nowhere but there are several houses/farms within easy sight of it and also it is not hard to locate.
"That old hag hates my ass."
wlhyatt
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Zilla School

Post by wlhyatt »

That is cool.

Another user on these forums showed a link to another site that might help folks find places to look around, and I have included this as an example.

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/ ... 21/Kansas/