Tuberculosis sanitorium in Talihina

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
flobadine
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Tuberculosis sanitorium in Talihina

Post by flobadine »

idontlikespam wrote:Just be careful. I have spoken with the owners and they are happy to show people around, but they don't take lightly to trespassing. They have had a lot of trouble with vandalism. We are actually working with them to debunk the stories of hauntings and stuff to maybe help keep people away.
Who do you speak to for a tour? What have you debunked so far?
Until a time when later is now,
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Tuberculosis sanitorium in Talihina

Post by Fiend »

Ok, I may be heading out there here in the next week or so. If anyone has any more information (security details etc.) please pm me! Thanks..
txsusie
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by txsusie »

I haven't been there personally, but an uncle of mine (husband of my mother's sister) contracted tuberculosis sometime in the 70's and was sent there to live in the sanitorium. I remember my aunt making the 3-4 hour trip from Blue OK (small town outside Durant OK near Blue River), several times a week for years to see him. She told us it appeared to be a decent place and she didn't seem overly concerned about the care he was receiving. But I suspect there weren't (and probably still aren't) a lot of options available for inpatient treatment since TB was so contagious. He died there around the late 70's as I recall. My husband was in the military so we had been gone from the North Texas area around 10 yrs.
P. Martin
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by P. Martin »

My Mother and my aunt spent time in the hospital at Talihina in the '30's and early 40's.
I have 7 old postcards with pictures from there. I don't know how to attach them here but I will email them to someone if they will post them here.
Amber_10
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Tuberculosis sanitorium in Talihina

Post by Amber_10 »

I was just there about 2 weeks ago.I had my camera in my hand, and put my hand in a window and took a picture.When I went to look at thew picture it looks like I took a picture of a ghost.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

pics
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: RE: Tuberculosis sanitorium in Talihina

Post by bugo »

P. Martin wrote:My Mother and my aunt spent time in the hospital at Talihina in the '30's and early 40's.
I have 7 old postcards with pictures from there. I don't know how to attach them here but I will email them to someone if they will post them here.
Here are the pictures:

Larger resolution pictures can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/watuzi/set ... 388808700/

Thanks to P. Martin for sending the pictures.
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

Very cool. I love collecting postcards like this that show how buildings or areas used to look.