New Large Storm Sewer Tunnel Being Built in Tulsa

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

New Large Storm Sewer Tunnel Being Built in Tulsa

Post by Fiend »

This is part of Oklahomas largest tunnel project in state history. I am unsure of the actual exent of this tunnel, and it isnt complete yet (said to be completed next year), but it should go for a couple of miles and several other storm sewer tunnels will connect into it. It will drain the storm water for a couple of miles around the I-44 area. The main tunnel is composed of 3 10'X10' tunnels. And you can bet I have been gettin giddy to explore it when its finished.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/includes/arti ... 881444&i=1
psychosaw13
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: New Large Storm Sewer Tunnel Being Built in Tulsa

Post by psychosaw13 »

well count me in when ever it's complete!
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by bugo »

The old Perryman Ditch tunnel headed south and crossed I-44, veering west towards the river. The new tunnel runs just north of I-44. I don't know what's going to happen to the old tunnel, but I expect it will be left alone. The old tunnel was arched, but the new one is a box culvert. I can take some pictures if anybody is interested (It's just a plain box culvert so it's not that interesting looking.)
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: New Large Storm Sewer Tunnel Being Built in Tulsa

Post by Fiend »

bugo wrote:The old Perryman Ditch tunnel headed south and crossed I-44,

They plugged the old tunnel, two parallel tunnels actually. The northern section of the old tunnels have been redirected into the 3 new Perryman Ditch tunnels that head west. I know this because I was in the old tunnels a few days ago and came to a dead end where the old and new tunnels should have connected, which wasnt there a month ago :x
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by bugo »

Here's a link to a PDF file of the I-44 relocation project. It shows the Perryman Ditch project.
http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsmedi ... 4plans.pdf
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by bugo »

Fiend wrote:
bugo wrote:The old Perryman Ditch tunnel headed south and crossed I-44,

They plugged the old tunnel, two parallel tunnels actually.
Did they plug the tunnel on both ends? The old tunnel emerged at Cowan Park then flowed through a ditch through the park, then went back underground and ended up in the Arkansas River. I would think the part of the tunnel from Cowan Park to the river is still in use.
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

bugo wrote: I would think the part of the tunnel from Cowan Park to the river is still in use.
Yes, you are correct, it is. The tunnels still run through the park. They are both plugged after about a block north of the park. From there, the new Perryman Ditch tunnels take what the old tunnles took from the north and more additional flow from several smaller tunnels that tie into it, and takes it out to the river following I-44