Picher, OK

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
VBJag
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Picher, OK

Post by VBJag »

Here's a gallery of my trip to Picher back in July of '09.

I'd like to make a return trip to Picher to see how it's changed now that everyone has left the town. I want to do some actual exploration into some of the buildings like the school, nursing home, downtown, etc. I also want to actually check out the other abandoned towns(Hockerville, Cardin, & Treece).

Would anyone be interested in making an all day exploration of the area? I'd like to do it before the EPA starts to raze the buildings and while it's still cool outside.

I also have the number for Hoppy (the guy that runs the museum) and when I talked to him a while back he said he would come up and open up the place and show us the pictures and talk about the history of the town, etc.
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Picher, OK

Post by Fiend »

I "might" be up for making the drive out there again... I've already checked out most of the major buildings in that town, including the highschool. It was alright. But now I'm concerned there might be a greater EPA presence out there that would be much more inclined to kick trespassers out.
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Re: Picher, OK

Post by cousin »

I'd put it off for a few, one of the school buildings was set a blaze yesterday.
SweetTater78
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SweetTater78 »

We went back to Picher a couple of weeks ago & did some snooping. I will have to post pics. There were a few people around...walking the streets. No one bothered us, though. There were only 3 homes with lights still on. All other homes had the main electric lines cut. Such an errie feeling to be there. I will post my pics soon...got some good ones of the businesses on Main Street.
Livin' in the ICT!
VBJag
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by VBJag »

Great, was it part of the H.S.? I'm sure they're going to close down the city because the turds will now roll in with their matches and spray paint cans.

I just don't get it.

**Edit**

Link to story

I say it's safe to rule out the fire being caused by a Hobo. I highly doubt they would travel to Picher. Aint no one or no food there.
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

Thats a shame, definately vandals though. That town has gotten so much attention, I'm sure shit faced taggers/druggies/vandals/low lifes are comming from other towns to have a hay day with all the vacant buildings and basically zero law enforcement.

I thought I read somewhere that they are now gonna do strip mining in the area sometime in the future....
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Too bad about the school. I went to college with a couple of chicks that taught there. One was pretty hawt. I guess it's on with Treece now too.

Strip mining in the area? lol I was just talking about this with my wife yesterday and commented on how not only do the big boys now get to make money cleaning up the area they originally messed up and we taxpayers pay for it, they probably have some ulterior motive, like they want something that's there. That would be rich. More strip mining. TFF. :x
"That old hag hates my ass."
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by peterbillionaire »

Attachments
Oklahoma 055.JPG
Oklahoma 054.JPG
Oklahoma 052.JPG
Oklahoma 047.JPG
Oklahoma 043.JPG
Oklahoma 037.JPG
Oklahoma 035.JPG
Oklahoma 028.JPG
Oklahoma 019.JPG
Oklahoma 017.JPG
Oklahoma 003.JPG
Oklahoma 002.JPG
VBJag
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by VBJag »

I can't believe they left all the stuff in the school.

I'm going to make a return trip here at the end of the month.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Great pics. Thanks.
"That old hag hates my ass."
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Jags&Pointers wrote:I can't believe they left all the stuff in the school.

I'm going to make a return trip here at the end of the month.
Gonna go get "Homosexuality"?

:lol:
VBJag
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by VBJag »

By the way, I made my return trip to Picher, made it into several cool buildings.

After suffering a blowout, I came across one of the last three remaining people in Picher and spent a couple hours talking to them. I convinced myself I'm going to talk to some more people and write a big report on the the three cities.

I'm hoping to have this done by sometime in July.