Underground Ozarks Forum Gallery Forum Blog
Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

Morrow Mill in Carthage
View previous topic | View next topic  
westin
0-99 Poster
Member for: 4 years, 3 months0-99 Poster

Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Morrow Mill in Carthage Reply with quote

Hey folks. I am new to the forum, and new to UE in general [granted I have been in the Carthage underground more times than I can count].

I am planning on heading out to Morrow Mill this weekend to look around. Any tips you guys can give me? Supplies, parking, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

-HST
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Locations: Carthage MO

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Morrow Mill in Carthage Reply with quote

what do you want to know about it? recently a fence was put out around part of the property, can still park just north of the silo. smells like ass in the bottom of the silos.... what else?
westin
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Morrow Mill in Carthage Reply with quote

I was just curious if there were any special precautions I needed to take. Structural integrity of the building, ease of entrance, etc. I have driven by it several times, but have never stopped to look around. [It is only about 5 miles from my house]

I have tried looking up information online, but have not found much. What was the facility actually used for? I know it was a mill, but I am not sure what the time period of operation was, or what they actually milled.

Thanks for the reply, and the information.

-HST
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Locations: Carthage MO

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Morrow Mill in Carthage Reply with quote

Not sure of exactly when built, but was early mid 1800's, started off as Pearl Mill, changed to Morrow in later 1800's. Best I can tell it was active until the early 1970's and mainly used for flour. For a period of time it was actually the highest production will in the state.
westin
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Morrow Mill in Carthage Reply with quote

Hey cousin -

Thanks for the info. I found a post from a while back talking about Morrow Mill [I think you posted it - if I remember correctly] but none of the pics were intact. I have been enjoying this forum quite a bit. After reading through several threads about Carthage/Joplin, I have found quite a few posts about places that I have explored. I didn't know until just recently that there was a community around exploration.

-HST

Jump to:  

Page 1 of 1