Morrow Mill in Carthage

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
westin
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Morrow Mill in Carthage

Post by westin »

Hey folks. I am new to the forum, and new to UE in general [granted I have been in the Carthage underground more times than I can count].

I am planning on heading out to Morrow Mill this weekend to look around. Any tips you guys can give me? Supplies, parking, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.
"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink."

-HST
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

RE: Morrow Mill in Carthage

Post by cousin »

what do you want to know about it? recently a fence was put out around part of the property, can still park just north of the silo. smells like ass in the bottom of the silos.... what else?
westin
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Morrow Mill in Carthage

Post by westin »

I was just curious if there were any special precautions I needed to take. Structural integrity of the building, ease of entrance, etc. I have driven by it several times, but have never stopped to look around. [It is only about 5 miles from my house]

I have tried looking up information online, but have not found much. What was the facility actually used for? I know it was a mill, but I am not sure what the time period of operation was, or what they actually milled.

Thanks for the reply, and the information.
"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink."

-HST
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

Not sure of exactly when built, but was early mid 1800's, started off as Pearl Mill, changed to Morrow in later 1800's. Best I can tell it was active until the early 1970's and mainly used for flour. For a period of time it was actually the highest production will in the state.
westin
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by westin »

Hey cousin -

Thanks for the info. I found a post from a while back talking about Morrow Mill but none of the pics were intact. I have been enjoying this forum quite a bit. After reading through several threads about Carthage/Joplin, I have found quite a few posts about places that I have explored. I didn't know until just recently that there was a community around exploration.

-HST