Heer's Department Store

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Heer's Department Store

Post by Anne »

David Keetz wrote:.....
...................... . my apartment has a fireplace...........
And a dishwasher.
Anne has left the building.
SandMan
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by SandMan »

Sertile wrote:FYI - Heers Update

It seems I may have spoken in haste, as it has been reported a fire-door prevented access to the Heers building proper since the start of demolition.
I apologize for the inconvenience.

In other news, I have recently learned that the outbuilding which provided access to Heers is now "a pile of bricks."

It was fun while it lasted.
The tunnel is still there if that matters.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

RE: Heer's Department Store

Post by Sertile »

Well yeah, it is, but if they knocked down the building then all the debris almost certainly fell down into the basement. That's what happened when they demolished the Book Rack, and both buildings had full basements. There's a slight possibility the tunnel will be excavated and accessible in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

Anne wrote:
And a dishwasher.

My apartment has....me.

and evil ghosts that want to take over keetz's dishwasher.
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
SandMan
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by SandMan »

Sertile wrote:Well yeah, it is, but if they knocked down the building then all the debris almost certainly fell down into the basement. That's what happened when they demolished the Book Rack, and both buildings had full basements. There's a slight possibility the tunnel will be excavated and accessible in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
As of Monday one of the two tunnels as open.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Really? Two tunnels? I was only aware of the one.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

I was only aware of one as well... more detail please :)
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Same here... I pretty much know that building inside-out and I was not aware of any other tunnel other then the old passage that connected the main store with the shipping/recieving dock (the building that was recently demolished)
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Grey
Drunk #3
Drunk #3

Post by Grey »

Must have been pretty intense to climb to the roof, wish I could have been there. Sounds awesome.
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

Underdog wrote:
Anne wrote:
And a dishwasher.

My apartment has....me.

and evil ghosts that want to take over keetz's dishwasher.
there's an evil monkey in my closet
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Man, I would have loved one more visit before they closed the Book Rack. I went there as a kid for comics, and then went again last year, I think. The whole store was snowed in under bodice-ripping romance paperbacks, but there were still comics underneath the stacks. A friend of mine went in and dug some out before they closed entirely, and the guy practically gave them to him. I hope they didn't just load the contents of the store in a dumpster and ship it to the landfill. I loved that guy that worked there. If aliens really are among us a la "Men in Black," he was a definite candidate.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
ShadowBearer
Stubbles
Stubbles

Post by ShadowBearer »

God, I know what you are talking about. I went in there once and thought the walls of cheap romance fiction would fall on me and the guy would eat my spleen or something.
pdx_prog
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by pdx_prog »

This is great. I had no idea there was a group dedicated to the old Heers. I grew up in Springfield and lived there from 63-73. Some of my fondest memories was going down to Heers and seeing the xmas windows, grabbing lunch at the Woolworth counter and seeing a movie at the Fox. Getting to go to Heers was a treat. We purchased all of our Cub Scout and Boy Scout uniforms there and we always visited Santa there also. The last time I was in Heers was in the mid 80's. A girlfriend of one of my friends was working for Heers and re-located to Springfield. We drove up before she moved to check it out and I took her through the old Heers building. It was definitely grand it it's day, as was all of downtown.
ouvgotmel
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by ouvgotmel »

Next time you go check out the heers building check out the Guilloz theater Caves, natural cooling could be put to use for air-conditioning. In Stockton, cool cave air at the city spring was wafted into the movie house above through an eight-inch hole drilled through the cave roof. In Springfield, the Guilloz theater was cooled in a similar fashion, one of the first air-conditioned businesses in the city.