Crystal Caverns, Cassville MO

Urban exploration in Missouri
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Crystal Caverns, Cassville MO

Post by slow_walker »

Okay, I remember going to this cave several times as a kid. And it's been closed to the public and privately owned for like 15 years or so. Of course now that I'm an adult I suddenly have an interest in it. So, I'm going to use this thread as my own personal place to gather whatever information and pictures of it I can find. And if any of you have information about it or find some I missed then that will be a bonus.

Let it begin.
slow_walker

Re: Crystal Caverns, Cassville MO

Post by slow_walker »

From The Missouri Caves and Karst Conservancy: Twelve years of Cave Conservation in Missouri

http://www.nckms.org/2005/pdf/Papers/ka ... 20mckc.pdf
Though no additional caves have been added to the ownership list of the Conservancy since the purchase of Skaggs Cave, four more properties have been leased or managed. Cystal Caverns, a formerly commercialized cave in Cassville, Missouri, has been leased by The Missouri Caves and Karst Conservancy since 1999. The cave had been neglected for years and the property logged over. The cave has no natural entrance and the excavated entrance is closed by a concrete block building. When The Missouri Caves and Karst Conservancy leased the property there was a large hole in the artificially closed entrance roof and large piles of trash outside the cave. In order to use the cave for educational tours, the cave had to pass an inspection by the Mine and Cave Safety and Health Program of the Missouri Department of Labor and Industrial Relations. The Missouri Caves and Karst Conservancy was awarded a grant from Recreational Equipment, Inc., to help modify the handrails, fix the hole in the roof, and obtain helmets and headlamps for group tours. Work is continuing on this project. Crystal Caverns is noted for its impressive aragonite needles and calcite formations
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

From article on Carthage Press online, Aug. 25th 2009
http://www.carthagepress.com/news/x7723 ... es-beneath
Once a commercial cave, Crystal Cave has been closed for more than 15 years and allowed to slowly return to a more natural state.
While Crystal Cave won’t be opening to the public anytime soon efforts are underway to restore the cave including removing “man-made attractions” like false cave formations and cleaning up trash left behind.
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Crystal Caverns, Cassville MO

Post by junkman306 »

I remember that place. I went there several times as a kid. :D
What's the point of making a point if the point you are trying to make is pointless? Do you get my point?
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

Thanks Cobby, that was an awesome read. My search has slowed down but when my laptop issue is resolved I will get back to it.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Went through Cassville this weekend.
"That old hag hates my ass."
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »