Blowing Cave Zach Arkansas

Urban exploration in Arkansas
wandering
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Blowing Cave Zach Arkansas

Post by wandering »

I few weeks ago,
I was on the bike up by Marshal and wondered my way up to what is left of Zach. There is a 3 homes there, thats about it.

The road is the old Rail Road grade, I found a couple interesting things. Old RailORad pond, and Cabin.
Now the strange part. Topo map places the Blowing Cave 1/2 mile from me. But I reason to believe there is another cave here not on the map.
Above the railraod pond, from this point I could hear the sounds of rushing water. Not the trickle from the the little stream that feeds this pond. This sounded like a roaring river.

Heres a video I took of the area. to bad the sound couldn't be heard. I was in MX boots and they're not good for being a mountain goat so I didn't try climbing up to the cabin or look for the cave I could hear.

I have a slight stammer (stutter) thus my vocals is not smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8JaZ2vHWVs

Hope you enjoy it.

PS. I talked to a local and he said the Blowing Cave is behind the home I passed to get here. It was a hillbilly looking place and I wasn't to anxious to meet them yet. I avoid it when I'm alone and no one knew where I was or would be. I do this for saftey reasons as you can imagine.

I checked a few other things while up that way.
The Mine at Leslie is a rock quarry and closed down. Just a small vertical hole as far as rock quarries go.

The mine listed over by Heber Springs, along the old RR grade there, I couldn't find it. It will take some woods exploring to find it again. So thats where we stand.
I got to get out toe Alfread and explore a cave a friend of mine sent me a picture of. He was able to park his motorcycle inside the opening. Might just be as shallow too.
bgould
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Blowing Cave Zach Arkansas

Post by bgould »

Zack was indeed a stop on the Missouri & North Arkansas (MN&A; aka- May Never Arrive...it was never well funded). The "blowing cave" was actually used to store produce (unlike many other purported uses of other caves), and the entry is approx 3 X 4, wood framed and on the east side of the road, through a yard and across the creek. From where this video was taken, perhaps 100 yards south and across the road. With permission of the owner (apporx 1977), we found that the cave branches into two chambers near the entrance. One is level and looks like a tunnel, the other somewhat less so and ends in a wet muddy crawl over some breakdown. Really not much to see, and it was posted when I was last in the op area.
The best solution is always simple and the simple solution is always hard.
wandering
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by wandering »

Thanks for the tip,
I talked to a local and he mentioned there was about 5 other caves in the same area. One with a rope from it that is older than anyone can remember.

Its a shame that so many places are posted anymore with our litigious society anymore, but I guess its understandable.

I do lots of exploring on the motorcycle so its not real practical to go as a group unless your all on bikes.

I'm going to get back up that way and climb that hill behind the pond. That rushing water sound was coming from place and not the creeks.
jetskiergrant
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by jetskiergrant »

Wandering, never heard of Zach, AR. Thanks for the great info and video.
jetskiergrant

I did not lie to you, the truth just changed.
Batman
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Batman »

Nice find! The story is great!
I am Batman!