Post your first world problem from today.

You can talk about anything here
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: RE: Post your first world problem from today.

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Nicotti wrote:Be less shitty/cheap of a son and buy her a laser mouse for christmas or just cause.
That son of a gun probably has a box full of laser mice sitting around.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:I actually picked out and set up that computer for her originally. I think that mouse was a leftover from her previous computer.
Proving my point of your cheap/shittiness.

Your are the engineer of your own first world problem... in this case.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Post your first world problem from today.

Post by SubLunar »

Why you hating on me? I set the fucking thing up for her and saved her money and trouble. Where's my credit for that? Maybe when I was out there I didn't realize her old mouse was a ball mouse. Maybe her new computer should have come with a laser mouse.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Post your first world problem from today.

Post by BROUSER »

Put daily driver car in shop. Got a loaner. 2015 Silverado. Manual door locks. Manual passenger side mirror. AM/FM only. I felt like Fred Flinstone.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

BROUSER wrote:Put daily driver car in shop. Got a loaner. 2015 Silverado. Manual door locks. Manual passenger side mirror. AM/FM only. I felt like Fred Flinstone.

they still make that shit in 2015? ugh
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

BROUSER wrote:Put daily driver car in shop. Got a loaner. 2015 Silverado. Manual door locks. Manual passenger side mirror. AM/FM only. I felt like Fred Flinstone.
My daily driver:
Manual locks.
Manual windows.
Manual mirrors.
Manual seat.
AM/FM (but radio sucks).
No AC.

But I do have power steering/brakes.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

crazydrummerdude wrote:
My daily driver:
Manual locks.
Manual windows.
Manual mirrors.
Manual seat.
AM/FM (but radio sucks).
No AC.

But I do have power steering/brakes.
Yeah, I've had all of those in the past. This experience made me realize what I take for granted. Even my 2003 pick up has all electric crap. Waiting for it to enter the phase where it all stops working.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Not criticizing you for your post, but personally, I fucking hate all-electric shit in cars.

Cue rant.

I hate electric windows that automatically roll all the way down when all you wanted to do was crack it. It's always stupid to simply crack a window in an electric window car. Down, oof, too far. Back up, ooof, too far. Back down twice as far as you needed, up a little. Up a little more. Fuck it, good enough. You know what was never a pain in the ass? Rolling down manual windows in a car while driving. Even my car that has 4 manual windows, I can easily reach all of them. While driving.

Why do I need some shitty electric motor to move my seat back which will inevitably crap out and not allow me to move my seat properly? What's wrong with a fucking old school latch? Did those ever break?

My old car doesn't even have a passenger mirror. Not an issue.

Electric locks are stupid as well. Key fobs are expensive to replace and when you don't have one, just to lock/unlock the back doors, after getting something out from the back seat that you need (my current plight) you have to open both your driver's door and the back door at the same time. Get your shit out of the back seat, go to the front door, hit the lock button, then close the doors. Give me a fucking key hole and a key/manual lock that I could simply push any day over this dumb shit.

I also don't like all the stupid fucking computerized radios/instrumentation in new cars that I've seen in every rental I've had over the past few years. All of them are proprietary and take way too long to navigate. How long must I look away from the road just to change the fucking station? Not only that but they can be used to track you as well as provide hackable back doors into your car. Furthermore, you don't ever need more than am/fm anyway. Want to listen to your ipod? Get a fucking fm transmitter. They work great, that's what I used. Until my radio died. And since my radio is linked to various instrumentation, I can't just swap it out with an aftermarket one or I'll lose control over those other things. So I can't even listen to the radio, nor my ipod as a result of this new technology bullshit they're cramming down the throats of car owners.

Lastly, imagine how much cheaper you could get a car if they pulled all that nonsense out and just gave you a car. With many of the same generic and widely compatible window/door lock/radio units that were always found in cars up until the late 90s when people thought it would be a fun experiment to load cars with expensive and unnecessary electronic gadgetry.

End rant.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

BROUSER wrote:Waiting for it to enter the phase where it all stops working.
This. And then what? Good luck.
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

SubLunar wrote: Get your shit out of the back seat, go to the front door, hit the lock button, then close the doors. Give me a fucking key hole and a key/manual lock that I could simply push any day over this dumb shit.
I understand your entire rant, I really do. Yes, this type of shit is expensive to fix if it craps out and for the most part the old reliable manual things never really broke.

But what the hell kind of car do you drive where there isn't a lock button on the back door and it can only be locked from the front door? My SUV is a Limited Edition with all fancy electric everything and it has electric locks on all 4 doors which can be pushed to lock or unlock even if the key is not in the car as well as still having the little cylinder thingies (technical term) that raise up and down at the top of the door when it is locked and unlocked. So I can simply push those down on all 4 doors as well.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

It's a borrowed newish Impala.

To unlock the back door, from having exited the driver's seat, you have to unlock all. I just tried the alternative method which would be lock all, get out, reach in and unlock back door, get your dead hooker out of the back seat, lock door. And in the case of cars with alarms, I think you have to actually use lock all to set the alarm, but I may be wrong.

My complaint was aimed at the situation when a key fob is not present and in this case the lock mechanism is not conveniently located to do it by hand. Not to a degree anyway, that there's a significant advantage to either the method i first described or the alternative. Your car sounds like it has much more reasonable locking options than this and many other rentals I've had recently.

Complaining about newer cars is obviously a first world problem so it's not like I'm losing sleep over it. But this is why I choose to own older cars. ..Also I can't afford new cars.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I agree. The way to drive is a stick shift Dodge Charger raised up on some decent shocks with some of the unneeded extra weight ripped out before purchase and a sled tied to the back that will kill your friends if you stop or fail to realize where the curb is buried under the snow. None of that requires new fangled electrical garbage. Oh, the good old days.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

SubLunar wrote: I hate electric windows that automatically roll all the way down when all you wanted to do was crack it.

Electric locks are stupid as well.
I actually love that feature for rolling down windows and it works the same on my sun roof as well. For my car at least, if you tap the window switch it will crack the window. If you tap it slightly longer it will go all the way down, and if you hold it for like 1.5 seconds it will stop wherever you want it to stop. Once you get the feel for the switch it's the most convenient thing ever.

Electric locks are awesome. I don't know if all manual locks are like this or just the ones on my Chevelle, but you can't lock the door by just pushing the lock pin down because when you close the door it just pops back up. You actually have to put the key in the lock and lock it. That's a total pain in the ass, especially in the winter. I'm surprised I haven't broken the key off in there yet.

The biggest thing I hate is fucking car alarms. I guarantee 99% of the time a car alarm goes off it is an accident. Such a pain in the ass. I remember the alarm button broke on my key fob for like 2 months and I was really happy about that. Unfortunately it works again. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put a panic button on virtually all key fobs is a fucking idiot. Also, I can't get into the trunk without first unlocking the car or it sets off the alarm. How stupid. The only thing I like about alarms is being able to drive around in my Chevelle and set them off all day long.
Last edited by BagHead727 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka "That Guy"
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Also, I remember my neighbors had a brand new 2002 mustang when I was growing up. It was all fast and furioused out with underglow and had the most annoying alarm you've ever heard that would go off virtually every night. I'm not kidding, this alarm made the dumbest fucking noises you've ever heard. Luckily they drove it to East St.louis one night and got car jacked. They got their Mustang and all of their clothes stolen and had to walk over the bridge back to St.louis naked. They deserved it though for having that obnoxious car alarm.
aka "That Guy"
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Everyone with electronic everything on their cars will be fucked during the apocalypse.

/rant