Kimmswick, MO Mastodon Fossils

You can talk about anything here
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Kimmswick, MO Mastodon Fossils

Post by mindwaave »

Pretty cool stuff. I'm sure BROWSER knows tons about this.
Amy K. Shaffer, page [url=http://www.mohistory.org/files/archives_guides/PhotographPrints.pdf]122[/url] wrote:Bones of mastodons and other creatures from the Pleistocene era were first found in the
early 1800s in the Kimmswick Bone Bed. In 1839 a St. Louis museum owner, Dr. Albert
Koch, heard reports of these bones and found skeletal remains that were later identified
as American mammoths. In 1897 amateur St. Louis paleontologist C.W. Beehler
rediscovered the site and excavated many fossils. Railroad tours from St. Louis brought
many visitors to Kimmswick particularly during the 1904 World's Fair to visit Beehler's
wooden shack museum which he built in 1900 near the bone bed to house hundreds of
fossil bones.
The Kimmswick, MO Mastodon Bones Collection contains about seven images showing
Kimmswick, Missouri, Beehler's excavation site and his museum, and photographs of the
fossil bones made by St. Louis photographer, George Stark in 1901 and distributed by the
Louisiana Purchase Exposition Publicity Department. All of the images bear two stamps
on the reverse, those of the photographer and the LPE Publicity Department, as well as a
handwritten number identifying that particular image. Some of the photos also have
handwritten identifications on the reverse.
Subjects include: bones; skeleton; archeology; C.W. Beehler; interior of Beehler Museum;
excavation site; Koch's Hole; Professor W.H. Holmes; Walter Miller; W.T. Townsend; DeLoncy Gill.
1 folder ca 1900 - 1904
Preservation over plunder.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Kimmswick, MO Mastodon Fossils

Post by BROUSER »

Familiar with it. Never been there. Have it on pretty good authority the current curator is a douche, but I still plan on going sometime. I have been here, and it is pretty awesome. Mammoths are awesome. Mastodons are awesome. Gomphotheria are awesome.
Last edited by BROUSER on Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Kimmswick, MO Mastodon Fossils

Post by paul06660 »

When I was in Aspen, CO last fall for a college summit meeting, there was a lot of talk about the recently discovered fossils found just outside of the community of Snowmass. I guess that they were digging to create a municipal water reservoir when an excavator operator inadvertently dug up some mammoth bones. Here is a link:
http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20101 ... /101019836
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.