Photo Resizing

You can talk about anything here
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Photo Resizing

Post by slow_walker »

I saw in the photo a day thread a few pages back there was some discussion about resizing photos. I thought I'd share what I've been using for years.

http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize

I have this site bookmarked in my Google bookmarks so that I can quickly download it to the desktop on any computer I'm at working with pictures.

Basically you download the file to the desktop and then you can drag and drop jpegs into the file for them to automatically be resized. The new size of the picture shows up next to the original with the size you chose added on to the end of the picture's name. So if you drag "abandoned house" into the tool a new copy of the picture will appear titled "abandoned house-400".

The size is determined by the name of the file. So basically it downloads and sits on your desktop named photoresize400.exe and when you want to use it, you right click on it and rename it to photoresize1800.exe or whatever.

Here's some examples of how manipulating the name of the file can produce different results. There's more information on the page.

Resizing method

PhotoResize400.exe - maximum side 400 pixels.
PhotoResize_400.exe - minimum side 400 pixels.
PhotoResizeF400x300.exe - frame size of 400x300 pixels. The resulting image width will be smaller or equal to 400 and its height will be smaller or equal to 300 pixels.
PhotoResizeW400.exe - width set to 400 pixels. Height automatically computed to keep aspect ratio.
PhotoResizeH400.exe - height set to 400 pixels. Width automatically computed to keep aspect ratio.
PhotoResizeP50.exe - resize to 50%.
PhotoResize400x300.exe - resize to exactly 400x300 pixels. Aspect ratio is not preserved.
PhotoResizeD100.exe - resize to 100DPI. Physical size stays the same.
PhotoResizeD100T.exe - overwrite the resolution information in the header without touching the pixels.
PhotoResizeK20.exe - resize to approximate maximum size of 20kB.
PhotoResizeG1024x768.exe - use content-aware resizing to change aspect ratio while preserving content.
PhotoResizeA400x300.exe - crop and resize to 400x300 pixels. The central part is preserved and resized while the borders are cropped.
PhotoResize400x300x5.exe - extend canvas and resize to 400x300 pixels. The last number (0-9) controls canvas brightness.