Because knives are cool and stuff.

What do you carry?
aka "That Guy"
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: The NEW Knife/EDC Thread

Post by BagHead727 »

It's the Cold Steel Spartan for me. It has to be one of the toughest folders out there even though the steel kinda sucks. In my experience, aus8 rusts easily and won't hold an edge very long. All 3 aus8 knives I've had rusted up after 2 weeks. They would flash rust every night. I would sand it off and clean it and this would repeat for about a week. After that one week of flash rusting it stopped and I haven't had any problems since.

If it's a semi-formal situation then I take the smaller Spyderco Centofante 3 with sweet vg10.

I'm going to end up ditching the spartan for a fixed blade and a smaller folder.
aka "That Guy"
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: The NEW Knife/EDC Thread

Post by mindwaave »

I know nothing about knives except how to clean them. I was given a CRKT M16-14SFG as a gift a few summers ago. It's on the bulky side of EDC, but the extra heft has let me pick and pry enough to get wooden doors open. Sturdy build, has a safety catch, and flicks open all dramatic-like.

BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Leatherman Rebar. I always carry a multitool with me. I bought my first one sixteen years ago and used the hell out of it then lost it somehow, so I bought the Rebar. There's actually pretty good steel on the blade, nice edge. Wire cutters cut barbed wire fence fairly easily. Saw blade is surprisingly effective. Nice improvement over my last one is that all everything locks into position, which is really nice for the screwdrivers. Small enough to carry in my pocket. Ratings: Intimidation: 0. Self-defense: .2 Impressiveness: 1 Coolness: .09 Overall usefulness: 8

“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
cdevon1200
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cdevon1200 »

"Kershaw Scalop" This is my 3rd or 4th.

leave nothing but beer cans, take nothing but selfies.

https://www.facebook.com/TheTexasDoor
s.sisco
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by s.sisco »

I like a nice knife with a straight edge but I'm so rough on them they are not for me. I m using this sheffield gun tool knife with driver bits in the handle and driver on the end and partial serated edge. Comes in handy when you need a screwdriver or a reliable blade for cutting. Also good if you are into scrapping metal. $11 and does exactly what I need. I want a multi tool also but I'm gonna save my money and keep packing my pliers and snips.

Btw I'm a douche. That is all...
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Got my new fixed blade in the mail today.

Cold Steel SRK with the San Mai III VG1 option. I feel that a more traditional sheath would be better for this knife. This one is a little too "tactical" for my taste. I went ahead and wrapped it with paracord anyway.

On a related note, it's kinda really sharp
aka "That Guy"
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

My EDC is a SOG flashback. Tanto blade with TiNi finish.

“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

As of the last knife thread, my every day carry S&W was lost, but it has since been found. I like this one mostly because of how it fits in my hand. I don't like taking my good stuff exploring, so I usually go with the assisted open Kershaw that I have. Both are fairly thin and comfortable enough to clip onto a pocket.

I like my gerber multi-tool and always have it in the car, but when exploring I typically either don't carry one or I'll bring one of the many cheapo multi tools. It should be noted that carrying a multi tool when exploring is not a good idea, because if you get busted by cops, they can call it a burglar's tool just to pad up the charges.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

As far as collections go, these are my two favorite knives. I haven't got anything new lately.

Copied from old thread:

Unknown Mexican knife. One side says "No a todos les esta el puro. Nomas a los hocicones." and "22-c"
Other side says "Productos Acevedo Oaxaca"

Japanese Saburo Knife, folds forward to be used as a punching device. I have some cheap chinese knockoffs of this same design, but their blades are thin and flimsy. This one is much sturdier, made in Japan and claims to be handmade with an individual serial #. Otherwise, I know nothing about it.