Pees In Spaaaaaace

You can talk about anything here
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Re: The WTF Photo of the Day Thread

Post by redox »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:
redox wrote:What if the piss in the ISS got released into space? Would it be like a conglomerate space rock?
Didn't see this part through all the nerd rage going on.

Idk if there's a term for for frozen pee (pisscicle?) But it would be a conglomerate. Not a mineral because it has to have a fixed but not definite chemical formula (like clays which can substitute alkalies) but pee has too many components which are in different abundances every time. So yeah, you'd have a frozen piss block floating around waiting to enter an atmosphere at high speeds and become a peeteor.
I must digress, why (maybe over time) couldn't it be an evaporite complex/other conglomerate?
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

redox wrote:
PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:
redox wrote:What if the piss in the ISS got released into space? Would it be like a conglomerate space rock?
Didn't see this part through all the nerd rage going on.

Idk if there's a term for for frozen pee (pisscicle?) But it would be a conglomerate. Not a mineral because it has to have a fixed but not definite chemical formula (like clays which can substitute alkalies) but pee has too many components which are in different abundances every time. So yeah, you'd have a frozen piss block floating around waiting to enter an atmosphere at high speeds and become a peeteor.
I must digress, why (maybe over time) couldn't it be an evaporite complex/other conglomerate?
Goddammit. No, it's not an evaporite unless something evaporates. If you put pee in an oven and cook it until all the water is forced out leaving you with various crystals of urea, seen here, salts and whatever else was in solution, those things would be evaporites. If it's all frozen in a peeglomerated iceball pinballing off space stations, well it's just another icy body floating around space. Astronomers would call that a comet.
Last edited by PANIC! on the Titanic on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

You missed the "over time" part
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Okay. In the scenario where the piss comet gets close enough to the sun or whatever star/heat source and starts losing moisture, leaving behind the solid renal residue, yes, those would be your goddamned evaporite conglomerations. And each individual component would be minerals, since they occurred naturally.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Yeah that is a possibility. Very good, I was thinking that exact scenario. I'll just leave off with this: http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/fea ... c-ice.html
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Okay, that pisses me off. If geologists don't consider oil and coal to be minerals based on their organic origins (from what I've read governments do but that's just a matter of convenience) then how could piss ever be a mineral as long as it is recognizable as piss? I suppose if it broke down into components and was no longer recognizable those components would be considered minerals, but then it's not piss any more, is it? But as long as somebody studied it and put 2 and 2 together and said, "Hey, this is piss!" then it stops being a conglomeration of minerals and becomes piss again.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

HEYGUYS wait a minute this tread WTF PHOTOS
not that I don enjoy what ever it isyou all are talking about but its clearly a PHOTO THREAD----just saying
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

whew..I shouldn't imbibe with such zeal and start posting. sorry for the rudeness, PANIC!

ropingk wrote:HEYGUYS wait a minute this tread WTF PHOTOS
not that I don enjoy what ever it isyou all are talking about but its clearly a PHOTO THREAD----just saying
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:Does your wife at least call you doctor when playing such?
Doctor
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I still don't understand why the freezing caused by a freezer is different then that of the outside air. Explain this.

-Ayn Rand
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Parameters of a mineral:

Naturally occurring
Stable at room temperature
Represented by a chemical formula
Usually abiogenic
Ordered atomic arrangement

Take a thing, shove it through that filter and see if it still comes out on the other side. If it does, it's a mineral. Not a difficult concept here.

Brouser - oil = liquid ≠ mineral. Frozen pee could arguably fail in the 'abiogenic' although they stick a 'usually' in front of it so things like calcite and aragonite shells of mollusks can count. Pee can't be represented by a single chemical formula, so it can't be a mineral. The components in solution - maybe.

Nic - Naturally occuring. Naturally occuring. Naturally occuring. Did it occur naturally on its own using things only found in nature? No? Not a mineral. For real I dont even see why this is a debate.

- Brouser feel free to move this to it's own shitty thread if we've derailed too far here.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

redox wrote:whew..I shouldn't imbibe with such zeal and start posting. sorry for the rudeness, PANIC!

ropingk wrote:HEYGUYS wait a minute this tread WTF PHOTOS
I wonder what the vaccuum of space feels like on his dingle.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Pees In Spaaaaaace

Post by Nicotti »

I'm just saying that if the freezing process that takes places in your freezer is the extact same as the one outside in nature then that whole part of being a mineral/not being a mineral is bullshit. Cause it freezes the same way from the same thing (that being cold air), who cares if the air was chilled by a coil or the jet stream.

Also if we're talking 'natural' bs for these minerals then why is one of the filters stable at "room temperature"? Shouldn't in be stable in a non-artifically climate controlled space?

Ice isn't stable in its solid form at most room temps unless they are artificaly kept cold.

-Ayn Rand
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

I copied that list from wikipedia without actually reading it too carefully. Whoever wrote that is a moron and needs to be shot for bullshit education. "Room temperature' is a completely arbitrary condition that feels comfortable to us. A more accurate list from geology.com, one that lines up with my actual notes from my mineralogy class:

naturally occurring
inorganic
solid
definite chemical composition
ordered internal structure

Fuck that room temperature shit. So I'd agree that doesn't make sense for that to be a stipulation - and it isn't.

So, we can synthesize diamonds by subjecting carbon to the temperatures and pressures required to create the same cubic lattice of carbon atoms. But, since humans had a hand in creating it, it's a synthetic material.
While I agree that the whole technical set of rules can cause stirring debates on semantics, it's overall just a load of crap. Ice is ice. It's either synthesized by a person in an electric freezer, or it's found naturally occurring as a mineral (albeit not necessarily a rock forming mineral).

A source
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Yeah, I'm still going to call the freezer vs nature guideline bullshit. Saying that there is a different between freezer made ice and jetstream made ice when the freezing process is the same is like refusing to call an apple from an orchard fruit because it didn't come from a wild tree.

:!:
And what's this Solid piece? Now you're going to tell me that gold is a mineral but if it melts it's no longer minerally. It magically loses it's mineralness till it solidifies again.

I think this whole "mineral/non-mineral" concept is a totally made up thing having no basis on science what-so-ever but rather the whims of a few overpaid geology professors!

Feel free to tell your quizical TA/Prof that!

-Ayn Rand