Knives

You can talk about anything here
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Re: Knives

Post by MONKEYMANN »

cobcob wrote:Right now I'm carrying a Winchester branded folder that's made by Gerber.

Hellaciously good blade for the price ($5 at Walmart during the Christmas season a couple of years ago) and it holds an edge pretty well.
Same as this one but without the ghey carabiner on the end:

The knife I'd really like is a discontinued Benchmade model the 910 Stryker. Not too big of a fan of the combo (part serrated) blades but I LOVE me a modified Tanto point.
I used to have a Winchester "Walmart" purchased knife and I thought it was great!! The only problem I had with it was it always kept coming unclipped from my pocket and falling out...up to the point that I finally lost it. Loved the knive though! Good choice!
I DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU SAID THAT I SAID THAT......
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

I'm not a knife guy, but I do carry a Benchmade 580SBK. It's a nice assisted opening knife, very impressed with the quality.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Knives

Post by SubLunar »

I usually have a knife on me. I used to have a Smith and Wesson that I really liked but it disappeared. Now I have a Kershaw assisted open that I like.

I have a lot of knives, I like quality survival knives. Here's my favorite people cutters:

Unknown Mexican knife, appears rather old and well ornamented. I know nothing about it other than: One side says "No a todos les esta el puro. Nomas a los hocicones." and "22-c"
Other side says "Productos Acevedo Oaxaca"

Japanese Saburo Knife, folds forward to be used as a punching device. I have some cheap chinese knockoffs of this particular design, but their blades are thin and flimsy. It's not a real blade unless it's made in Japan. This one claims to be handmade with an individual serial #. Otherwise, I know nothing about it.
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

Some of my knife history:

Benchmade BM-42 Prototype #42-100

MOD Triton OTF (out the front) Auto (out and in)

Microtech Scarab OTF (seriously BA knife, I miss it)

Current EDC: Emerson Super Commander with a regrind by Arkansas local Tom Krein. Outstanding knife. Shown with my buddy's Emerson Super7 also with Krein Regrind. SC on top S7 on bottom.

MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

Microtech makes Freak'en Awsome switchblades. The dang things cost an arm and a leg too. I think they start out at a couple hundred dollars and go up from there. I've always wanted one but never could bring my self to spend the money :(
I DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU SAID THAT I SAID THAT......
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

They are expensive... well expensive compared to normal production knives. For example, that MOD Triton is the production version of a custom knife that sells in the $2000 range and up depending on build options. The MOD version is under $400 (and showed, build quality was crap compared to other knives in that price range).

The Microtech Scarab was one of the most well built knives I have owned. I ended up selling it though b/c of the cost. I couldn't justify a $500 knife that I couldn't legally carry.
darko80
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by darko80 »

That's an impressive collection, Godfather. I like the Emersons a lot and I've been thinking about picking up a CQC 10. I'll probably get a Spyderco first, but the Emerson is pretty high on the list.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

I carry one of these everywhere...and sometime a firearm

Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Those Winchesters are made by Gerber? I generally shy away from Chinese made knives, which most Gerbers are now, but I confess to buying a Winchester Swiss Army type knife at Wal Mart for $4, I think it was.

I generally carry either a Swiss Army knife or a multi tool. If I think it is a spot where trouble could happen, I carry a Buck folding knife I got at Wal Mart for $7. Made in USA and legal. Opens with one hand. I bought several and gave some to my friends and relatives.
"That old hag hates my ass."
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

redox wrote:I carry one of these everywhere...and sometime a firearm

I bought a bunch of those type cutters when Sears had them for like $6. They are awesome. I have them scattered around anywhere I might need to cut open a box or a sack of dogfood or something.
darko80
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by darko80 »

I've recently taken a liking to Cold Steel. Yeah, they catch a lot of shit because of their over-the-top designs, their blowhard of a spokesperson/ CEO, and a whole slew of promotional videos on youtube, but they really do make some great knives. Especially for the money.
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

Anyone heard of these guys at all? Springfield based

http://www.darkopsknives.com
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
darko80
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by darko80 »

I had heard of Dark ops before and thought they had some cool designs but I had no idea they were based out of Springfield. Thanks, man.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

I've got a Cold Steel Recon Tanto that I really like. They had a Cold Steel Samurai Sword in the same style-which I think has been discontinued. This was at Sportsman's Warehouse in Wichita. It wasn't even $200, and I thought about getting it, but didn't. I went back a couple of months later and it was gone.
darko80
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by darko80 »

I like the Recon line a lot and have thought about picking up either the tanto or the clip-point for a long time. How does the teflon finish hold up?