what made you happy today?

You can talk about anything here
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

RE: what made you happy today?

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Positive feedback always makes me happy. A complete stranger posted this on my timeline this morning. Yay me. :)

I need to start uploading smaller pics now I guess if I want to avoid a watermark because obviously my pics are being saved.

Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

I've never put anything in a gallery before and I have no idea how to go about that. Is it expensive? It's something I've been wanting to try out for awhile just to see where it goes.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

The place I went was $250 bucks for a month. And I made that back from selling a bunch of framed photos...

However the cost of printing and buying frames still set me back into the negatives.

So although I sold a lot more than I expected, it was still not profitable. Granted, I had my prices low (because I reject the idea that "high prices make people think your stuff is higher quality and conversely low prices make them think they're low quality"-I don't believe that shit for a second. And if it is true, well then people can not buy my low quality stuff and go fuck themselves.). I didn't want to set too high of a price and leave myself guessing why it didn't sell- "was the price to high or did everyone hate them?". In the future, I guess I could try a slightly higher price and see if I can still sell a bunch and not end up in the negatives. It was a positive experience and I learned a lot. Most importantly that printing stuff out and finding frames is a total pain in the ass and it sucks. But selling my hard work to random strangers was a pretty cool feeling.
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Yeah that's totally out of my price range right now. I'm broke. Lol. I wish one of these people would believe in me enough to invest in me because I have a lot of ideas. One of which is to buy one of the many schools for sale in the city and rent out space to local photographers, artists, etc. There are lots of people out there looking for creative space and I could provide plenty with a school. Damn I wish I was rich.
Last edited by Mandi Milenko on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

And I agree on the price range thing. I charge $30 for an hour shoot, as many poses as we can fit in, free editing, etc. I make them be responsible for printing them out. I'll give them CDs with both originals and edits and send them to emails/facebook or whatever. But screw having to deal with printing when they can do the same for themselves. I've been told I'm undercharging though but I think it's a fair price. I can't see myself charging any more for just an hour. Plus to be honest I love my camera but it's a POS compared to most professional photographers. I know it's not always about the camera but still...
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Re: what made you happy today?

Post by ropingk »

They tryed that with the Crestwood Mall a few years ago the rented out the empty stores to what ever lots of dance and pics and stuff it didnt save the mall and the sucky part was they were all closed by like 5???? and im pretty sure after 5 is when a LOT of people go to the mall

For me if I did a Photo shoot Im going to want the pics all printed out nice and neat and handed to me in a presentation folder.
You can charge the $30 a hour abd then charge for the prints all Im saying is people are lazy they are not goign to want to have to do anything for them selfs
ANymore prin ts are cheap W@algreens is about as cheap as it getts you can get 100 prints for like $35 and Im sure you could easily recover that if you did up a nice profesional presentation
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Why don't you look for open art shows in StL. I know Koken Art Factory has several calls for art throughout the year. I'm sure other galleries do to.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
ucitygal
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by ucitygal »

I am happy that my parents and their house was missed by the tornado this morning… just barely. The house next to them received damage, as well as many other houses in the block.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Re: RE: what made you happy today?

Post by redox »

ucitygal wrote:I am happy that my parents and their house was missed by the tornado this morning… just barely. The house next to them received damage, as well as many other houses in the block.
whew..yeah I could hear that tornado as I left for work this morning -freaky big whistling windy sound- about 5:25 am. I live in Clayton by the park.
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

ucitygal wrote:I am happy that my parents and their house was missed by the tornado this morning… just barely. The house next to them received damage, as well as many other houses in the block.
Yay! Looks like they dodged the bullet. My grandma also lives in U-City. Her block didn't get any damage. I called her at 5:30 am to make sure she was ok and she picked that very moment to tell me she is retiring this summer. Lol.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Interestingly enough yesterday around noon I was at that Walgreens in U city and there was a downpour of hail for about 3 minutes enough to make it look like it snowed, pea size up to quarter size. Then that tornado hits that area and knocks down the brick wall next to the that same Walgreens' parking lot. What are the chances of that?

-Ayn Rand
ucitygal
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by ucitygal »

Mandi Milenko wrote:
Yay! Looks like they dodged the bullet. My grandma also lives in U-City. Her block didn't get any damage. I called her at 5:30 am to make sure she was ok and she picked that very moment to tell me she is retiring this summer. Lol.
I'm glad your Grandma was okay too!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

New episodes of Adventure Time on netflix. What?
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:New episodes of Adventure Time on netflix. What?
Says the man who doesn't watch tv or movies. what.

-Ayn Rand