Other high-speed
5%

Total votes: 21

Chillindave
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Internet connection speeds. . .

Post by Chillindave »

Hey everyone! I'm thinking about streaming some videos for everyone and I'm just wondering what everybody's connection speed is to see if it's worth the trouble.

Choose your connection speed on my poll so I can get an idea.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Internet connection speeds. . .

Post by White Rabbit »

Time to repeat my tale of woe about my dialup internet speed. I live out in the frickin' boondocks. Because of the old copper phone lines out here, I can't connect at any speed higher than 26.4k. Because of line interference and line noise (that the phone company refuses to fix), it's actually MUCH less than that. Constant drops, too. And forget DSL and Cable. You can't even get that here. I had satellite internet for a while, but it was so flakey that I figured if I was going to pay for a crappy service, it might as well be the cheap crappy service. Makes updating this site a real bitch-a-rooney.

Anyway, if you do do that, I can see it from someone else's house, so don't consider my vote :P
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

Sounds cool to me. I've been considering video taping more often as well. I have both the equipment and software; I just have never considered putting the time into it and whether it would be worth the effort.
We might die from medication
But we sure killed all the pain ~ Conor Oberst
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

I know how you feel, WR. I have DSL now, and broadband's nice, but I used to be out north of Springfield. Considering the length of extension I had to use to get to the phone jack from where I was living (in the basement), and the crimping that happened occasionally due to the basement door, plus the wires being crap out there and my computer being a piece of fossilized dung...

Yeah. For the last few months, I was down to about 1400-1600 bps as a good connection speed for me.

That's right. I said 1400 to 1600.

Not 14000 or 16000.

Not even near 28,800.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

I live out in the woods as well and my dial up is about the same as W/R but at work i do have DSL
I tryed the satilite thing it was expensive and while it was faster it was not always there and for some reason
I kept locking up I did get a new Dell system and that seemed to help the lock-ups but the concetion speeds still suck
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
crowe
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by crowe »

i've got ye olde dial-up. *sadfats*
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

I'm on a network here on campus so its lightning fast for me, I'm not sure what category that fits under though
gothstone
Beata Morte Perpetuum
Beata Morte Perpetuum

Post by gothstone »

bluecookies - your on at least a T1, probably T3 or OCT12. Choose other high speed.
2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

for me dial up = chinese water torture

i could never ever go back
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

so long as we are on the topic of the internet and such, does anyone know of a pop-up blocker that actually works? I've had various free ones that work, but over time (especially lately) its just getting worse and worse.
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

If you insist on using Internet Explorer, get Google's toolbar and enable popup blocking. It seems to work well enough. Also, get Ad-Aware and regularly (daily or every other day) for spyware. That will help remedy the problem.

Otherwise, download Mozilla's Firefox browser. It has many useful browser extensions, more than one of which eliminates unwanted stuff while browsing (one, for example, allows you to jump a redirect link to go straight to what you wanted to view). In the Options menu, require it to ask permission to set cookies, and then ONLY allow cookies from sites that you absolutely trust (for me, here, Hotmail, and Photobucket are the main ones allowed). Most sites do not require cookies to be allowed, and if they do and you've turned them off, you can reset that particular site by going through and deleting its rule.

Happy browsing. If you want more info, just lemme know.
Chillindave
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Chillindave »

I'm running on XP and microsofts' updates have added something to IE that blocks pop-ups VERY effectively. It even asks about running Active X apps and can be set to do the same with JavaScript. I have been extremely impressed with the free popup blocker with IE. If microsoft could make all their stuff work that good. Haha.
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

What you don't know is that your computer's now probably plotting to destroy every other appliance in your house in a sort of an electronic Jihad.
atron
Jedi Infiltrator
Jedi Infiltrator

Post by atron »

Anyone else here running SBC's 6Mbsp High Grade DSL? I was wondering what types of upload speeds your getting?