Guitar anyone

You can talk about anything here
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Guitar anyone

Post by SubLunar »

Yeah, but it's fun to do, so I'm okay with it.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Re: Guitar anyone

Post by ropingk »

just rmember there is alwasys somebody that is way better I cant really play but i sure like trying
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

just rmember there is alwasys somebody that is way better
That was my dads first words of encouragement when I got a drumset.

I still wonder why he said that, but now I believe him. Haha.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Nicotti wrote:I have a Takamine F340 Acoustic.
I'm looking to sell this. Anyone interested or know of a good place to sell it near St Louis (besides online).
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Depends on how much you want for it. If you want full price, good luck anywhere other than online. I'd craigslist it. Pawn shops, and anywhere else looking to resell, will give you about 1/3 of the ebay value.

I used to be a pawn broker. That was a fun Job.. Based on ebay (although there's a variety of different "340" models, not sure which exactly matches yours) and taking into consideration our average supply of acoustics we'd have offered about 100 bucks as long as it was in good shape and had strings on it. The more of any item we had in the shop, the less we'd offer despite online value. And most people don't realize the importance of having it strung up when you sell it. Quite often having no strings is a way to hide issues, like broken tuners, etc. And yes, people sold their stuff for 1/3 of ebay value every day. Jewelry is even worse, that shit goes for about 10% of retail.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

It's strung, though the strings are years old and haven't been played and has a case. There's a chip in the face, but it doesn't affect the sound (chip was there when I got it). It has an electric output on it too, but I've never tried using it.

What's the value of that would you say?

How much can one generally up-bid pawn brokers and what's a good pawn shop in town.

Also is trying to sell to guitar center or such worth while?

-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Also I may be selling a full set of golf clubs plus bag if anyone is interested.

-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

It's hard to say without seeing it. Any reseller will probably give in the neighborhood of $100 for an average decent acoustic. But an end user could pay $300 for the same thing. If it came into my shop, I would have been willing to pay $100, as long as it was in good working shape and I wasn't already overloaded with acoustics. I'd put it on the wall marked $299 and sell it for $240 cash to anyone willing to talk down the price. Selling it to anyone other than the end user will cost you. Resellers have to make money so they have to pay less than going rate for said item. This comes as a surprise to most people walking into a pawn shop with stuff to sell. It's not worth our time if we can't at least double our money. Generally, we were usually paying about 1/3 of ebay prices. In this case there are no f340s actually selling on there so I'd have to stay low. You might get slightly more if you shop it around from place to place but if you really need/want more, then you'll need to find a person who wants it for themselves, ie craigslist.

I'm no longer a pawn broker, just speaking from that perspective.

Now if you want to buy something, that's when you go to a pawn shop and try to negotiate. As a buyer, they'll work with you and discount their prices because they can afford to. But as a seller, they'll hold out for the crack heads who sell their stuff for next to nothing because there will always be someone coming in that door willing to sell their stuff for pennies on the dollar. Every day, all day long. I miss working at the pawn shop sometimes because of all the awesome deals I used to get...

Oh, also seller names the price. Don't go into a place and expect them to give you a number. As the seller you need to know what you want for it. I'd start out asking 200 bucks and see what they counter offer. Just don't take it personally when they don't match your price. Some people take it really personally..
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

can I ask what you paif for it??? Id m thinking it should be in the $250-$300 but im not exactally sure my 360 was over $2000 new but its kind of a special model--well its a Big Necked Blue Grass sounding guitar anyway Id try Craigs list i knwo a music store is going to try to get it for cheap and a pawn shop the same i had a buddy sell a 76 les paul to a music stor cause they offered him $700 he was like thats a great price it was on the wall in the same store a week later for $1700
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

that's how it goes. How else are they supposed to make a profit? That's why you don't sell to resellers.

If you want to get paid wholesale prices, then you sell to a reseller. If you want retail value, you sell to an individual.
Last edited by SubLunar on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

My mum bought it for me used for one of my teenage birthdays so idk how much she paid. And that would have been nearly 20 years ago.

I asked for an electric guitar and rock lessons, I got that guitar and a gospel guitar teacher. I was like, "Ahh man! How can I emulate Bill & Ted with this thing?!"

Apparently, guitar isn't my thing so I guess it didn't matter.

-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Could I take it to GuitarCenter or some other music store and get a valuation for it? So I know what to ask for abouts on the internet?

-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

My experience with guitar center is they operate about the same way as a pawn shop. Rather than check up some artificial number in a dusty old book, they check ebay and other online marketplaces for that model. Does yours look like the ones on ebay? I think there were 3 of them on there. Best way to identify value is compare ones that have sold. High starting bids don't mean anything other than owners aren't willing to let go of the instrument. I bet you could ask the Takamine Forum.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

SubLunar speaks the truth on this topic.