Help??

You can talk about anything here
lilwoodhippie
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Help??

Post by lilwoodhippie »

I was shocked when I realized how few people had even heard of the lynchings on the square. Most who have heard of it dont know anything about it. There is an excellant article that was originally published by the News Leader years ago called "And they sang a sabbath song"(or something VERY similar) Reading that piece I was struck by how much it explained about how things still are today in this part of the world. While I understand the shame associated with the incident and how people would not want such a thing glorified and wounds rubbed raw anew, I wish it was required reading for all school children in this area of an appropriate age. I used to have a copy but wanting to show it to as many people as possible I loaned it out and it was lost. I would have thought that a document that is so pertinent to the history of an area would be widely referenced but I cant even find more than a brief mention of it online. Anybody have a link? Or if you could email me a copy I would be so grateful. Thanx
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Help??

Post by Willard »

Springfield! Magazine ran the story "And Then They Sang A Sabbath Song" in the May 1981 edition. It was writen by Kathrine Lederer. I have a photo copy of the artical in my big ass Heer's book (yes I have articals dating back to 1875 in a 2 inch binder). Part of the artical says that the wood for the fire was taken from crates from surrounding buisinesses on the square that they had left behind their stores for the trash collector. Morton Lines (former vice presedent of LE Lines Music) told me that his dad told him about that event too.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
lilwoodhippie
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by lilwoodhippie »

That story and a profile on the man who founded "Cross Town bbq"(interesting name , wonder why it was chosen) are perhaps the most enlightening references I have ever seen on how the area both became and continue to be so segregated. Any chance I could coax you out of a copy? I have some fairly old clippings myself not to mention other documents. Think a fair exchange would be agreeable?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I'll just send you a copy... plus I don't live to far from Cross Town BBQ. The owner Steve is really nice. I've only been in there once but it's great food! He even sang a song to Dee Dee my girlfriend.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
lilwoodhippie
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by lilwoodhippie »

Yay! Ill see if I cant find some goodies you might like . The story about Crosstown was about Steves father if I remember correctly.Still yet your GF is a lucky one - I used to love those commercials- Arghhhhh guess what songs gonna be stuck in MY head all day I bet.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

It's Crosstown!
When you're feeling hungry there's just one thing to do
Crosstown!
Go across the city for the best BBQ
Crosstown!
Something something something...

Um...