Batman and Superman

You can talk about anything here
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Batman and Superman

Post by White Rabbit »

There's gotta be another comic book geek in the house that can feel my pain. I'm SO disgusted with the costumes for the new Batman movie and the new Superman movie that I just have to rant.

Firstly, Batman... This kills me. Because it looks like they're finally going to have a movie where Batman is badass ninja detective that he's supposed to be, except the costume looks like a giant turd. I mean, it's another rubber suit, like that stupid outfit they had Michael Keaton in. It's not even that bad except for the cowl. The cowl looks RIDICULOUS! Batman should be able to turn his head from side to side for God's sake. If anyone's ever seen the short 7 minute film called Batman: Dead End, THAT is how Batman's costume should look. If you've got high speed internet, you can get it off Kazaa or one of the other ones download networks.

Okay, now Superman... ARGH!!! Have any of you seen that piece of shit costume? It's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever seen! Everyone knows Superman wears blue, red, and yellow, although you can tinker with the hues a bit like they did for that Lois and Clark show. But the new Superman costume is maroon, dark blue, and dark yellow. Instead of the normal S logo, they put a little plastic emblem on his chest, and they changed his red brief thingies. It looks like SHIT.

Come on, someone tell me they're bummed about this, too. I've been a comic book geek all my life, and the Spider-man movies were a dream come true. Why can't they do that crap with any of the DC comic characters?
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

RE: Batman and Superman

Post by tyler »

Did they give Superman his cape? The guy making the movie didn't want him to have a cape.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Batman and Superman

Post by White Rabbit »

ivecomeasiam wrote:Did they give Superman his cape? The guy making the movie didn't want him to have a cape.
Yeah... It's maroon, though.
thetrio
Whiskey Tango
Whiskey Tango

Post by thetrio »

I havent seen the superman costume yet but the batman one is a a bit to much. And no they shouldnt be able to change the colors completely, look at Xmen. And i think spiderman was a cool movie i think that costume was even overdone, I mean come on a high school kid making that at home on his own?
I went over to the dark side, but just to pick up a few things.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

thetrio wrote:And i think spiderman was a cool movie i think that costume was even overdone, I mean come on a high school kid making that at home on his own?
Well, I think the costume was a perfect real world representation of the comic book costume. The problem is, they didn't bother to take two minutes to explain how a high school kid could've gotten the costume. I mean, all they had to do was show him in his wrestling costume talking some artist or seamstress into making him the rubber suit, and that would've taken care of that little plot hole.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Well they kind of showed Parker designing the costume, and besides, it's a lot more believable that he could've designed his own costume than it is that he could've designed his own WEB-SHOOTERS. That's one change I never had a problem with.

The Batman suit's not terrible, but I agree with your accessment of the cowl. It seriously needs to be able to turn and be made of something other than inch-thick molded rubber. It's pretty much a copy of the Keaton suit, which isn't great, but you know it could be a lot worse. At least it doesn't have friggin' NIPPLES this time.

As for Superman, yeah... I'd like to know, how many men are actually going to watch this movie? I felt gay just looking at that super suit, honestly. Superman looks like a male stripper in this movie. I wish they had gone with someone a little more George Reeves-like instead of just trying to copy Christopher and making him younger to appeal to the Smallville crowd.

And yes, I too am a pretty big comic fan if you can't tell.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Sertile wrote:Well they kind of showed Parker designing the costume, and besides, it's a lot more believable that he could've designed his own costume than it is that he could've designed his own WEB-SHOOTERS. That's one change I never had a problem with.
Oh yeah. I totally agreed with that change. It's hard enough to suspend disbelief that a radioactive spider can give a teenager super powers. But to believe that that same teenager can somehow come up with a super-webbing formula and shooters after that happens? Nope, that's too much. Really, Spider-man should have had organic webshooters from the get go. And they've finally given him organic webshooters in the comics, too (at least for now).
It's pretty much a copy of the Keaton suit, which isn't great, but you know it could be a lot worse. At least it doesn't have friggin' NIPPLES this time.
Yeah... I don't like the rest of the costume, but I could live with it. At least, unlike the Keaton costume, it's supposed to be like functional body armor. But that cowl? It's the stupidest damn thing I've ever seen. I mean, a ninja that can't even turn his head? Baloney.
As for Superman, yeah... I'd like to know, how many men are actually going to watch this movie? I felt gay just looking at that super suit, honestly. Superman looks like a male stripper in this movie. I wish they had gone with someone a little more George Reeves-like instead of just trying to copy Christopher and making him younger to appeal to the Smallville crowd.
Yeah, Brandon Routh doesn't make a very good Superman to begin with. Superman's supposed to be a tall, barrel-chested guy. Brandon Routh's in good shape, but he's no Superman. And that's not even mentioning that fake-as-shit spit curl.

And here's the worst part. Just by changing the shape of the neckline and making the S shield a little bigger, the costume goes from a complete turd to pretty awesome.

Here's the Superman Returns costume:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/ ... stume2.jpg

And here's a modified version that some fanboy made:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/ ... design.jpg
Last edited by White Rabbit on Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Ah yes. And on second glance I notice not only does he have the diminished, plastic "S" on his chest, but another, smaller "S"-shaped belt buckle. Why he now needs S's plastered all over his body, nobody knows.
crowe
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by crowe »

But that cowl? It's the stupidest damn thing I've ever seen. I mean, a ninja that can't even turn his head? Baloney.

*laughs*

i saw this movie last night, and, being the worst breed of comic book dorkdom- the girl comic book dork, i have to agree here. not to mention, your comment here made me laugh for about five minutes.

i was really disappointed when they showed the new suit. it was like, oh good. more rubber. i feel your frustration- he's a ninja. ninjas have to be able to move. rubber's not the best material for movement.

as for the Superman outfit- ouch. just... ouch. the colors... they hurt me.
crowe
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by crowe »

Sertile wrote:Ah yes. And on second glance I notice not only does he have the diminished, plastic "S" on his chest, but another, smaller "S"-shaped belt buckle. Why he now needs S's plastered all over his body, nobody knows.
so you know he's Superman. come on. ;)
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

P.S. I fixed that redesigned Superman costume link. Apparently I screwed it up before.

And I saw Batman Begins on IMAX like the day or day after it came out. It actually fucking rocked.

But the costume still sucks.
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

White Rabbit wrote:P.S. I fixed that redesigned Superman costume link. Apparently I screwed it up before.

And I saw Batman Begins on IMAX like the day or day after it came out. It actually fucking rocked.

I've got to say they did a fantastic job with Batman Begins overall. The characters, the writing was very believable and I loved every minute. I thought that his suit was ok, not great but ok. I really loved the good Batmans (Batman and Batman Returns) so I didn't have too much trouble with the new suit. I'm glad they took out the yellow belt. I mean who would have the best camo ever only to have it ruined by a bright as hell yellow belt?

I did love the Batman: Dead End fan film and wish they would turn it into a full movie. How can Batman not be totally awesome taking on Preditor? The Dark Night batman suit is a much more real rendition of how Batman would be like. Oh well as long as the batsuit didn't have fake nipples or George Clooney in it I'm happy.

I've got to totally agree with White Rabbit about the new Superman outfit. Since when did Clark Kent go flamming? I mean come on. If I were a criminal that was caught by that Superman I'd beg him not to assrape me! I think they should have waited until Smallville was over until they started the movie. I'm afraid there is just too much Superman right now. It may suffer the same fate of the Star Trek franchize right now...too much too fast, with crappy writing.
Last edited by Underdog on Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
crowe
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by crowe »

White Rabbit wrote:P.S. I fixed that redesigned Superman costume link. Apparently I screwed it up before.

oh wow. on IMAX? i'm rather jealous, here. i saw it Friday night, and was happy for the most part. what a fun movie!

and there was the Scarecrow in it. i loves me some Scarecrow.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Oh yeah, I saw Batman opening night! I would've said something to put your mind at ease, but I forgot about this thread until just now. Anyway, I thought it was great! I'm not going to say it was as good or better than the Burton Batmen, or even the Adam West version (my favorite), because those are classics, but it was still good in it's own right, and I could easily see this as a series. Personally, I like the yellow belt.

Superman's still gay as ever, though. I'll watch it, but for the same reason I'm watching Fantastic Four... I don't expect it to be "good," per se.
crowe
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by crowe »

oh wow- the Adam West Batman movie is so funny. we'd turned it into a drinking game where you took a shot everytime you noticed the Riddler's junk (which was very prominent).

we stopped that.