An historic vs. A historic

You can talk about anything here
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: An historic vs. A historic

Post by Nicotti »

The Oxford Dictionary wrote:People often believe that they should use the indefinite article an in front of words like historic, horrific, or hotel. Are they right or wrong? Should you say ‘an historic event’ or ‘a historic event’?

An is the form of the indefinite article that is used before a spoken vowel sound: it doesn’t matter how the written word in question is actually spelled. So, we say ‘an honour’, ‘an hour’, or ‘an heir’, for example, because the initial letter ‘h’ in all three words is not actually pronounced. By contrast we say ‘a hair’ or ‘a horse’ because, in these cases, the ‘h’ is pronounced.

Let’s go back to those three words that tend to cause problems: historic, horrific, and hotel. If hotel was pronounced without its initial letter ‘h’ (i.e. as if it were spelled ‘otel’), then it would be correct to use an in front of it. The same is true of historic and horrific. If horrific was pronounced ‘orrific’ and historic was pronounced ‘istoric’ then it would be appropriate to refer to ‘an istoric occasion’ or ‘an orrific accident’. In the 18th and 19th centuries, people often did pronounce these words in this way.

Today, though, these three words are generally pronounced with a spoken ‘h’ at the beginning and so it’s now more logical to refer to ‘a hotel’, ‘a historic event’, or ‘a horrific accident’.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Meester Beeg
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Meester Beeg »

The reason the James Foundation is in NY is because she lived there at the time of her death with her grandmother's brother, R.G. Dun (the Dun of Dun and Bradstreet) and his wife and her will decreed the James Foundation was created.
Beware the Black Widows...feared throughout the land!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Nicotti wrote:
The Oxford Dictionary wrote:People often believe that they should use the indefinite article an in front of words like historic, horrific, or hotel. Are they right or wrong? Should you say ‘an historic event’ or ‘a historic event’?

An is the form of the indefinite article that is used before a spoken vowel sound: it doesn’t matter how the written word in question is actually spelled. So, we say ‘an honour’, ‘an hour’, or ‘an heir’, for example, because the initial letter ‘h’ in all three words is not actually pronounced. By contrast we say ‘a hair’ or ‘a horse’ because, in these cases, the ‘h’ is pronounced.

Let’s go back to those three words that tend to cause problems: historic, horrific, and hotel. If hotel was pronounced without its initial letter ‘h’ (i.e. as if it were spelled ‘otel’), then it would be correct to use an in front of it. The same is true of historic and horrific. If horrific was pronounced ‘orrific’ and historic was pronounced ‘istoric’ then it would be appropriate to refer to ‘an istoric occasion’ or ‘an orrific accident’. In the 18th and 19th centuries, people often did pronounce these words in this way.

Today, though, these three words are generally pronounced with a spoken ‘h’ at the beginning and so it’s now more logical to refer to ‘a hotel’, ‘a historic event’, or ‘a horrific accident’.
Fuck dictionaries.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:
Nicotti wrote:

Fuck dictionaries.
Your mom fucks dictionaries.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

SubLunar wrote:
Nicotti wrote:

Fuck dictionaries.
Fuck a dropped H, Eliza Doolittle. Speak American.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: An historic vs. A historic

Post by SubLunar »

I hate dropped H's just as much as I hate Americans. I just watched an Eliza Doolittle video and I have no idea what's going on.

Here's your options:

1. an Historic

2. A Historic

3. uhhhistoric

There's only one answer that doesn't make you a horrible person and it's not option 2 or 3.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Our Corporate Standards team at work randomly emailed about this. Apparently the English majors want us to think about whether those viewing our words are going to pronounce a word with a vowel or a consonant sound. Our words are viewed across the entire country. If they speak differently, I don't know how I'm supposed to know.

Who in the hell drops h's? The only scenario I can think of is the Oliver Twist version of a London accent. "Don't 'it me govenor. I 'ave 'igh 'opes I can pay you tomorrow. If not, I'll bash my own 'ead into the wall." Does anyone talk like that without making fun of the English?
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

actually yeah crazydrummerdude pointed it out to me once. middle aged white people do this alot. It's subtle, not something that really sticks out but once he pointed it out I was noticing it all the time.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

Meester Beeg wrote:The reason the James Foundation is in NY is because she lived there at the time of her death with her grandmother's brother, R.G. Dun (the Dun of Dun and Bradstreet) and his wife and her will decreed the James Foundation was created.

Verry true ID say that if Old Lucy could see how it is ran today she would NOT be pleased not even a little but she dead so they do what they want and fudge the books to make it look good to the Board
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I was going for the Pygmalion (George Bernard Shaw) reference, not the singer. I didn't even know there was a singer. If you watched the same video I did, we may actually share a nightmare.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham