Pope John Paul II

You can talk about anything here
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Pope John Paul II

Post by Anne »

My parents and I were discussing about the pope and was wondering. How do they elect a new one? Is it the Cardinals that lock themselves up in a room and when smoke rises out that means they've decided?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Is it the Cardinals that lock themselves up in a room and when smoke rises out that means they've decided?
That's pretty much how it's done. Here's a good artical describing the process: http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story. ... 694854.htm
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Pope John Paul II

Post by White Rabbit »

Willard wrote:I'm now comming to the end of my third time in my life when I've seriously thought of becomming a priest.
Go to Assumption Abbey and join up. You can be one of those fruitcake-making monks.
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

ivecomeasiam wrote:Not to be insensitive, but is it wrong of me to feel like this isn't a bad thing?
I guess because you aren't Catholic, but yeah it's a little insensitive.
ivecomeasiam wrote:I mean, the man wanted to retire a long time ago and he's been doing little more (health wise) than barely getting by for years (In no way does this speak towards his mental capacity).

I'm with Willard on this one, not sure where you got your information from. I have never heard that he wanted to retire. Popes don't "retire", they die.
ivecomeasiam wrote:It seemed to me, when I would see him speak, that he as a person meant nothing to his peers.
If that's true, please explain the thousands in St Peters Square and the millions around the planet.
ivecomeesiam wrote: It's not just recently that his health has been bad, it's been bad for a long time. And he's been in a demanding position while facing such illness and a weakened state. I just feel like he had done more than enough and should have been able to retire when he wanted to.
His health hasn't been that great for years, started to get bad after he was shot.
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

Anne wrote:My parents and I were discussing about the pope and was wondering. How do they elect a new one? Is it the Cardinals that lock themselves up in a room and when smoke rises out that means they've decided?
The votes are burned and when burned, black smoke.

When they've decided it's white smoke. Very clever. Black - White. 8)
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Willard wrote: I'm now comming to the end of my third time in my life when I've seriously thought of becomming a priest.
So you'd read me my last rights as they were carting me off to jail to shoot me for trespassing? Even though I'm not Catholic, I'm Protestant, that'd still be ok wouldn't it? :wink:

But, seriously, that's really awesome about you wanting to become a priest.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Well what I ment to say is I'm not acutally going to become a priest. I've decided this time around to see how my life is going by the summer of 2006. I have a girlfriend and I have bills to pay (my debt outside of my house payments is about $4000 right now). I figure that right now isn't really the time. Being a priest is something I feel strongly about but right now after lots of thought and such, I believe that God has other things in store for me. I know that not everyone out there is religious, or for that matter even monotheistic (belief in one god) but this is part of who I am. I know no one on this forum has seen a post by me yet that has hinted to even a shread of actual religious seriousness, but in light of yesterday and how I'm feeling (yes like the rest of the Church, I'm greaving over the loss of the Holy Father) I feel the need to show another side of my personality.

Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

So you'd read me my last rights as they were carting me off to jail to shoot me for trespassing? Even though I'm not Catholic, I'm Protestant, that'd still be ok wouldn't it?
Seriously as priest can read you your last rights even if you aren't Catholic. If you feel strongly enough to wish to have last rights read, the Church won't deny that to you. John Paul II advocated that everyone is a human being and should be treated with respect and dignity. He also stated that anyone, even those who are not Catholic, deserve forgiveness and absolution if they as for it. There are seven sacraments in the Church: Baptism, Reconciliation (confession), Holy Communion, Confirmation, Anointing of the Sick, Holy Orders (becomming a priest), and Matrimony. Reading last rights falls under Anointing of the Sick.

Druakara
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Druakara »

I too agree with Willard in the mourning of the Pope's death, though I have no religious affiliation with the Catholic Church (or any other church for that matter.) I believe that John Paul II was without a doubt one of the greatest teachers of my lifetime, and definatly influential in the world, whether the people be catholic, or not. the world has lost a great man, a great soul, and a great mentor.
May he Rest in Peace.
Rejoice for very bad things are about to happen. - Richard
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

ann_marie wrote:
ivecomeasiam wrote:It seemed to me, when I would see him speak, that he as a person meant nothing to his peers.
If that's true, please explain the thousands in St Peters Square and the millions around the planet.
His peers...people who hold positions alongside him. Not people who go to see him. Read.

Perhaps it was false information, I had heard that he'd wanted to retire fifteen years ago but was advised against it.

I was simply asking a question, I'll know to word things more carefully next time.
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

ivecomeasiam wrote:
ann_marie wrote:
His peers...people who hold positions alongside him. Not people who go to see him. Read.

Perhaps it was false information, I had heard that he'd wanted to retire fifteen years ago but was advised against it.

I was simply asking a question, I'll know to word things more carefully next time.
Ok, yes, I did misunderstand nonetheless, you are wrong.
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

Of course I am. Congratulations on being so awesome!
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

:?
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

ivecomeasiam wrote:Of course I am. Congratulations on being so awesome!
Great debating skills.
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

Great job on the superiority kick over someone ten years younger than you. I still maintain that YOU ARE AWESOME!