Pope John Paul II

You can talk about anything here
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Pope John Paul II

Post by Willard »

The Pope has passed away today. I was very sad when I heard the news, me being Catholic and all. Growing up for the past 23 years and him being the head of the Church, it's kind of sad to see an icon such as him go. This is as sad of a day as when Mother Teresa died. If anyone else feels like the want to blog about the Pope, feel free to do so here. I know the world will miss him very much. :cry:
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

RE: Pope John Paul II

Post by ann_marie »

I was raised Catholic. I have many issues with the catholic church. I choose to disassociate myself with it. Doing so has shown the true colors of many "christians". Rejection.

Having said that, I am saddened by his passing as he was a great man and a great poet. He set a good example for his followers (i.e. the catholic church) too bad the majority of them didn't/don't follow his example.

RIP :cry:
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Well said and very true. Often times I wonder why I'm still Catholic. I go and yell at God, he just listens. I yell some more... no answer. Then I'm fine again. I guess I've dove deep enough into being Catholic (doing more study then most Catholics thought possible) that it's hard to imagine my life outside of the Church. I'm now comming to the end of my third time in my life when I've seriously thought of becomming a priest. That's from the priests I've grown up around (fine gentlmen and great examples for their congregations) and also the example that our beloved Pope has set. His is a hard road to follow. Before he was a priest in Poland, he worked there in the rock quarys.

Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Here is the official buliten put out by the Vatican. It's from the Vatican Web Site. http://www.vatican.va/gpII/bulletin/B0184-XX.02.pdf

ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

I totally respect your beliefs. I do not judge. If you find it in your heart to become a priest, do it.

My brother's oldest daughter (she's 17) is most likely going to be a nun. She's wanted to since she was 3 years old. My brother has 8 kids and one on the way, my brother is only 35. They are extremely strict Catholics and "disowned" me when I was 19. Which is quite sad. People like that put me off from the church. I mean seriously, could they be anymore harsh? I share the same blood with this person.

I also have a HUGE problem with priests "counselling" couples for 6 months before the couple can get married in the Catholic church. Someone that has never been married giving advice about marriage? That's insane.

You'll find your way, Willard. Maybe you should consult Ben??? 8)
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Ben?

ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Re: RE: Pope John Paul II

Post by ann_marie »

Willard wrote:Ben?
Have you even see the movie "Willard"??? :?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Have you even see the movie "Willard"???
OHHH!!! DUHH!!! I feel dumb now... but I'd rather consult Socrates.

ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

He's not around anymore for you to do that.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

:cry:

ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

Willard wrote::cry:
Sorry to hijack your thread, I'll shut up now.
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

But didn't Socrates come back to Williard in the asylum? Or another similar rat? You could consult Socrates the 2nd!
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

But didn't Socrates come back to Williard in the asylum? Or another similar rat? You could consult Socrates the 2nd!
Indeed you are correct, but for now I'm going to meditate on the loss of the Holy Father.

tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

Not to be insensitive, but is it wrong of me to feel like this isn't a bad thing? I mean, the man wanted to retire a long time ago and he's been doing little more (health wise) than barely getting by for years (In no way does this speak towards his mental capacity). It seemed to me, when I would see him speak, that he as a person meant nothing to his peers. It's not just recently that his health has been bad, it's been bad for a long time. And he's been in a demanding position while facing such illness and a weakened state. I just feel like he had done more than enough and should have been able to retire when he wanted to.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Your statement is well taken and understandable. However, John Paul II understood what it ment to accept the position of the highest office of the Catholic Church. By tradition this office was set up by Jesus himself (I know there's lots of debate about it and I don't wish to start any such debate here. Please start a new thread if you wish to debate this point) instituted this office by saying "You are Peter and upon this rock I shall build my Church." It's been tradition since Peter chose a successor to always have a Pope. They are apointed for life. It is part of their spiritual duty to remain in their office until death. I was looking today and found out that the top 10 longest Papacys were 20 years and up. John Paul II was third longest.. He had 6 more years go go before he'd made it to number 2. I was also wondering where you got your information that the Pope wanted to retire? I've never ever heard that anywhere. More so I believe he was a living inspiration to the rest of us. We're not talking about a government or a club, we're talking about a 2000 year old religion that requires a life term Pope. I wish people would quit debunking tradition as if it doesn't matter. It matters alot. Things such as the Pope, and Mass define me as a Catholic. The Catholic Church (and some of it's Popes) have not been the best examples of Christian behavior, but I will say that it's been around for 2000 years and is still going strong. Hitler once said that if 2000 years worth of corruptness and internal arguing and war haven't destroyed the Church, he didn't stand a chance.