Light Preference?

You can talk about anything here
azma
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Light Preference?

Post by azma »

im just curious what every ones preferance on lamps and light LED, Incandescent, or other?
_J_
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Light Preference?

Post by White Rabbit »

If it's somewhere I don't need a bright light (like a huge cave or something), then I love my little LED flashlight or headlamp. If it's something big, then I always take a couple normal flashlights, or even my spotlight or kerosene lantern.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I know roaches don't like light at all... when you turn on a light in a room you can see them scurry to the far nether reaches of the room! :shock:
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Tunnel rats dont' like light either! But I think cockroaches are funnier reacting towards light.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

"Tear It!"

youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Post by youthsonic »

I like both LED and Standard. I always carry various mag lights, including a 4D upgraded with the Mag-num star XENON bulb, which is hela brighter and has a much longer battery life. I also carry a Black Diamond Gemini headlap, which is a hybrid and has both a XENON lamp and 2 LEDS. I find I use the LEDs most with that light because it seems bright enough. I also recently picked up a Princeton Tec Aurora headlamp, which is sufficiently bright for most needs, and noticeably brighter then the Gemini. You can't really beat LEDs for their brightness/battery life ratio, although they get ALOT more expensive when you start talking equivalent brightness to a standard light. The way I look at it, even though a LED light can last 10K+ hours, and the battery life is longer, when you really need the light nothing is better and more cost effective then a standard flashlight.

For example, a 4D Mag with the $1.99 Mag-num Star XENON upgrade has a peak candlepower of 32,000, 65 lumens and has a battery life of 14-16 hours. You can pick one up for around 20-25 bux. An equivalent LED would cost you 150+, and not have anywhere near the battery life for useful light.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_ ... rfnbr/1071

If you don't really need that much brightness / output, then a LED is a good choice because of its battery life. My Gemini has runtime of 500+ hours on 3 AAs, which is quite impressive. I find that the light is good for general navigation, and even better if the room is completely dark. However, in a dimly lit room, the light is less effective, because the thow of the beam is too short and the beam is too focused. I sometimes resort to the XENON light built in to it, which is generally bright enough, but only has a battery life of 3 hours off the same AAs (more like 30 - 45 min before you notice a degredation of light output), if they havn't already been partially run down from using the LEDs. My workhorse light though is still my 4D mag, which is a great balance of brightness / light output and battery life.

I guess the point is (if there is a point to my babeling) that a LED is a good choice for general navigation of dark areas and for providing good ambient light, but when you really need light output go with a standard light. So, I would suggest to carry both.
"fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Ford Prefect
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Ford Prefect »

I rock a skate helmet with a Rayovac 3-in-1 attached; red and white L.E.D., plus a conventional bulb. The red light is the best, it produces a good amount of light and is fairly discrete. As well it preserves your vision in dark places. When I need more light I use the trusty 4-D Mag lite, and a 2-A Mag Lite just in case.
Ford P.
"Go where you think you want to go, do everything you were sent here for. Fire will and you hear that call, touch your hand to the wall at night." I'm a dork, and if you are a dork too, you just read some of my shit, don't get me wrong though!
caver
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by caver »

Back problems have kept me from caving in the last couple of years. When I was caving about every weekend my preference was a helmet mounted carbide lamp. Then I was going out to Carlsbad Caverns on
trips with a volunteer group and found a TAG Lite 1
was prefered. It's a modified Nite Lite. The Tag II is utter crap,,,avoid this one.
http://www.4bobandbob.com/pages/07.html
I've been in the Big Room when the lights are out and it just swallows light. Now for camping and the odd poke in a mine or cave I tend to use my Photon Fusion.
I also have a Princton Tech Aurora.
Somewhere I have an original Petzle Mega...
There is just a
great selection of high tech lights out there now that were not available 10 years ago.
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

I carry a Maglite 4D and a Princeton Tec Yukon HL. Both are more than enough light for me. Though, I am considering purchasing a 2,000,000 candle light (or higher) spotlight in the future.
We might die from medication
But we sure killed all the pain ~ Conor Oberst
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Light Preference?

Post by White Rabbit »

S1L3N7B0B wrote:Though, I am considering purchasing a 2,000,000 candle light (or higher) spotlight in the future.
I bought a 10 million CP a few months ago. It's bulky, but I bring the thing everywhere. It'll light up the biggest cave you can find.
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

10 million?! Where the hell did you find that, and how much was it?
We might die from medication
But we sure killed all the pain ~ Conor Oberst
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Post by youthsonic »

S1L3N7B0B wrote:Though, I am considering purchasing a 2,000,000 candle light (or higher) spotlight in the future.
Now that would rock!
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

S1L3N7B0B wrote:10 million?! Where the hell did you find that, and how much was it?
Bass Pro. And it was about 70 bucks. :)
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Post by youthsonic »

White Rabbit wrote:I bought a 10 million CP a few months ago. It's bulky, but I bring the thing everywhere. It'll light up the biggest cave you can find.
What is the battery life, 10 minutes?!?!?!
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Battery life? What sort of genrator do you need to hook up to a lamp that powerful???