Knights of Pythias

You can talk about anything here
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Knights of Pythias

Post by Willard »

And thus ends my political rant for now.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Re: RE: Knights of Pythias

Post by ann_marie »

Willard wrote:And thus ends my political rant for now.
So, I am taking from that rant that you are against us being in Iraq? I don't want to assume, that is why I am asking.
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

You could say that, but due to lack of time right now I'll have to save my rant on Iraq for a later date.

Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Post moved by me to Other, since it's basically a political post that will likely spawn a string of replies (being as I'm all controversial and crap). Saves WR the trouble later.

Look for Can Of Worms.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

I just had to bump this as I found a book today at the flea market. It's a little mistreated and warped a bit.
Attachments
Inside cover, 1885
Inside cover, 1885
knights2.jpg (35.22 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

Another pic
Attachments
Front cover
Front cover
knights.jpg (29.1 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I've been trying to find one of those, but I can never seem to win the auctions on e-bay. Would you be willing to sell it? If so, how much?

ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

I got it with you in mind. I bought it for $10 bucks. Like I said, it's warped in the front 100 or so pages, but nothing too bad. The spine is kinda messed up too. If you want it, it's yours. Only 10 bucks.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I got it with you in mind. I bought it for $10 bucks. Like I said, it's warped in the front 100 or so pages, but nothing too bad. The spine is kinda messed up too. If you want it, it's yours. Only 10 bucks.
Awsome! I've got the $10, next question is transport and such :-D

ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Re: RE: Knights of Pythias

Post by ann_marie »

I don't see myself getting to Springfield anytime soon, so I can just mail it. Do you have a paypal account? Why don't you just PM me your details.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

So this book that Ann Marie was so kind to get me is really neat. Here's the Declaration of Principles that was adopted in 1877 by the Knights of Pythias. Understand that no one speaks like this anymore so you might need a dictionary for some of the words. I know I did.
DECLARATION OF PRINCIPLES OF THE KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS.

Adopted by the Supreme Lodge Knights of Pythias, August 16, 1877.

Recognizing the universality of human brotherhood, it's organization is designed to embrace the world within its jurisdiction - intended solely and only to desseminate the great principles of Friendship, Charity, and Benevolence, nothing of a sectarian of political character is permitted within its portals. Toleration in religion, obedience to law, and loyalty to government, are its cardinal principles. Misfortune, misery, and death being written in fearful characters on the broad face of creation, our noble Order was instituted to uplift the fallen; to champion humanity; to be his guide and hope; his refuge, shelter, and defence; to soften down the asperities of life; to subdue party spirit; and by the sweet and powerful attractions of the glorious trinity of Friendship, Charity, and Benevolence, to bind in one harmonious brotherhood men of all classes and all opinions. The brightest jewels which it garners are the tears of widows and orphans: and its imperative commands are to visit the homes where lacerated hearts are bleeding; to assuage the sufferings of a brother; bury the dead; care for the widow, and educate the orphan; to exercise charity toward offenders; to construe words and deeds in their least unfavorable light - granting honesty of purpose and good intentions to others; and to protect the principles of knighthood unto death. Its laws are reason and equity; its cardinal docterines inspire purity of thought and life; its intention is "peace on earth, and good will toward man."
This is still true for the Order today.