Joplin UrbanEx - Crocodile Hunter-style.

You can talk about anything here
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Joplin UrbanEx - Crocodile Hunter-style.

Post by Mindscape »

Since my digital camera sucks ass, and my analog camera needs a flash still, I don't generally get to take a picture of my wanderings-around. However, today I found something that (I think) qualifies as Something Nifty Found In The City... so I promptly clubbed it with an empty Gatorade bottle and stuffed it inside.

What you see is a Cicada Killer wasp of about two inches in length (give or take). There's a penny in the pictures to provide a size reference.
Attachments
From the side and in (marginally) better focus.
From the side and in (marginally) better focus.
From the side.
From the side.
From above.
From above.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

RE: Joplin UrbanEx - Crocodile Hunter-style.

Post by Chris »

Those things arew fucking huge. I found one in the pool filter at my old house once. I wonder if the sting is proportional to their size!
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Yup. I've got the thing sitting here in a tupperware storage box on my desk, and it's kinda pissed about being in there. The stinger's easily a quarter of an inch or a little longer, and it's about as big around as your average 0.7 mechanical pencil lead (tapered, though, of course). Freakin' nasty-lookin'. Plus, the thing's apparently fully recovered now from being boshed on the head with the Gatorade bottle.

This one's a good inch longer than the one that the Conservation Department branch down here has in a bug collection. I stopped by there to figure out what it was, since it's been about a decade since the last time I saw one (I remembered after I'd asked). Since we've got a lot of cicadas running around down here, and they like our porchlight, I'm gonna toss one in and see what happens.
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

LOL awesome. You've got to take a video of that.

The only thing that would make it cooler is if - somehow - the cicada kicked it's ass.
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Lacking functional mouthparts (their mouth only works during their larval stages, and fuses itself between their legs upon reaching adulthood), or claws of any defensive or offensive sort, I think the cicada's pretty much screwed. The only thing it's got going for it is a little bit of bulk (but not much), and the fact that it's got bigger wings. But considering that the wasp did fine against bludgeoning by a bottle powered by a human, I think the cicada's fucked.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Re: Joplin UrbanEx - Crocodile Hunter-style.

Post by gimpface »

You should just add two or three cicadas to the bottle and film what happens.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: RE: Joplin UrbanEx - Crocodile Hunter-style.

Post by Willard »

Mindscape wrote:Lacking functional mouthparts (their mouth only works during their larval stages, and fuses itself between their legs upon reaching adulthood), or claws of any defensive or offensive sort, I think the cicada's pretty much screwed. The only thing it's got going for it is a little bit of bulk (but not much), and the fact that it's got bigger wings. But considering that the wasp did fine against bludgeoning by a bottle powered by a human, I think the cicada's fucked.
I know some people who have a lack of functional mouth parts... :lol:
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

? update?
----------This space for rent----------
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Update:

After putting a cicada into the box and shaking them into the same corner, they completely ignored one another. After a while of watching them, I got bored and put the box outside for the night. The next day, the cicada was dead.

Now, that could just have been because cicadas have a short life span. Or it could have had to do with the fact that I had to pry it out of Hamlet's mouth (he apparently liked holding it there and listening to it scream muffledly). Or the wasp might have actually like stabbified it to death. I have no idea.

Today, the wasp is also dead. I plan on pinning it to something. It's huge.
CasperMilkToast
Bearer of Man-Thong
Bearer of Man-Thong

Post by CasperMilkToast »

Cuda and I saw one of those in our garage last week sometime. I though it was a big ass bee. It was also huge, might see if I can find it in there somewhere and see how big it is.
The problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time. - Robin Williams
pavement
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by pavement »

I had one of those things fly in to my car before, I almost wreck trying to pull over and get the damn thing out of my car.
Can you here me now! its the end of radio, and we miss it.
Split
Personality
Personality

Re: RE: Joplin UrbanEx - Crocodile Hunter-style.

Post by Split »

pavement wrote:I had one of those things fly in to my car before, I almost wreck trying to pull over and get the damn thing out of my car.

One time when I was moving I rented the biggest U-Haul you could rent, like 26ft I think, and towed my car behind it. I was driving down the interstate when out of nowhere I felt an extremely sharp pain in my leg. It was one of the most extreme pains I have ever felt. I was all over the road and stomping my feet. I managed to swerve over onto the shoulder and found this fucking wasp. I killed the bastard and squished him untill you could no longer see what he used to be.
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

A long time ago, in a campground far away, when i was like 8-9 we were camping out, I got woke up in the middle of the night with the most excutiating pain you could ever imagine in my pants... When i opened up and looked, I had been stung by a wasp right on the hole in the tip... and seeing as I am HIGHLY allergic to sstart with, it swelled up to the size of a fucking softball. it fucking hurt like hell for weeks... you know those funnel/hoods that you see dogs wearing... I had to wear something like that in my nether-regions to keep my pants from rubbing it, and had to wear sweats for three days.

"Actually no, it's not a banana, it's a dick-collar. And, no, I am not happy to see you."
----------This space for rent----------
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I worked at a Xmas tree farm one year trimming the xmas trees. Wasps and hornets love that shit. I got stung 6 times on one tree. I think the most I got stung in one day was 10. Not hornets. Just the red wasps.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

dawgchain wrote:A long time ago, in a campground far away, when i was like 8-9 we were camping out, I got woke up in the middle of the night with the most excutiating pain you could ever imagine in my pants... When i opened up and looked, I had been stung by a wasp right on the hole in the tip... and seeing as I am HIGHLY allergic to sstart with, it swelled up to the size of a fucking softball. it fucking hurt like hell for weeks... you know those funnel/hoods that you see dogs wearing... I had to wear something like that in my nether-regions to keep my pants from rubbing it, and had to wear sweats for three days.
that is FUNNY!

sorry dude, sorry for your pain

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!