Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

You can talk about anything here
BacktotheFuture4Life
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

Post by BacktotheFuture4Life »

Do you think people will abandoned UO in favor of other sites like KCUrbex?
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

Post by SubLunar »

No. Also, KCurbex are good comrades of ours.

I've been here for like ten years and have seen the activity come and go. If anything facebook will be/has been the death of forums.

PS Fuck facebook.
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

Post by Headframe Hunters »

No. I'm finally getting back into exploration after several months; my fiancee and I got to a Frasch-process sulfur mine in Texas this afternoon. I'll be moving for work soon, maybe outside of Missouri, but I'll keep posting.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
BacktotheFuture4Life
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

SubLunar wrote:No. Also, KCurbex are good comrades of ours.

I've been here for like ten years and have seen the activity come and go. If anything facebook will be/has been the death of forums.

PS Fuck facebook.
Yeah. I like forums better.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

No, I don't think we can get the dye out of UO. In fact, I think the forum will be stained black forever. Inky black, like my heart.
SubLunar wrote:PS Fuck facebook.
+1
Preservation over plunder.
BacktotheFuture4Life
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

mindwaave wrote:No, I don't think we can get the dye out of UO. In fact, I think the forum will be stained black forever. Inky black, like my heart.
SubLunar wrote:PS Fuck facebook.
+1
+2
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Snoopy »

I don't think either platform can replace one another. Both have valuable information, and I don't want to see either go away; even if nobody gets on them. I'm glad I got the opportunity to keep KCUrbEx going for years to come and I'm hoping when White Rabbit doesn't want to run UO anymore, he'll pass it on to mindwaave or sublunar; I know they'll take good care of it :D. Facebook killed the forum scene and all we can do is make our platforms easier to use/access to try to keep exploring groups from taking over facebook.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

tylernol wrote:I'm glad I got the opportunity to keep KCUrbEx going for years to come
I like what you're doing over there. I so desperately want to update the PHP version here. Inline image posting and a UO mobile version? YES PLEASE
BacktotheFuture4Life
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

SubLunar wrote:
tylernol wrote:I'm glad I got the opportunity to keep KCUrbEx going for years to come
I like what you're doing over there. I so desperately want to update the PHP version here. Inline image posting and a UO mobile version? YES PLEASE
Though that's a cool idea, I kinda like the old message board design from the 2000s. Nostalgic. But I understand where you're coming from.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

Post by SubLunar »

I mean if it was up to me I wouldn't change the look at all. Just update the functionality.
BacktotheFuture4Life
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

I agree.
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Snoopy »

SubLunar wrote: I like what you're doing over there. I so desperately want to update the PHP version here. Inline image posting and a UO mobile version? YES PLEASE
I'd love to see some updated functionality here! The biggest issue I had with KCUrbEx was when I updated from 3.0 to 3.2. It actually killed the forum for a two weeks and I had to rebuild it with a new install of PHPBB. I had to update the template to a newer version too due to it breaking when I updated.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

My issue with facebook exploring groups is the complete lack of anonymity. At least here at UO people only know who you are if you want them to. There's a lot of places I've been to that I would not be comfortable at all talking about without some thin veneer of anonymity.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

gimpface wrote:My issue with facebook exploring groups is the complete lack of anonymity. At least here at UO people only know who you are if you want them to. There's a lot of places I've been to that I would not be comfortable at all talking about without some thin veneer of anonymity.
I have several issues with them and that's definitely one but honestly I just really fucking dislike facebook in general. I only get on when I'm on the clock because my personal time is too valuable for that shithole. And even when I'm on the clock, getting on is a chore that I endure for the sake of staying in touch with non-locals. I've been on like once or twice in the last month or so.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

UO goes through phases of popularity. A lot of newbs burn bright for 6 months, invite a friend or two, then disappear. Maybe it's seasonal? It seems we're currently in a rut of not much activity, but there are a couple new-to-me users who are posting, so that's good.

There is a shit ton of information here, and we've been everywhere, so anyone looking to get into the hobby is bound to find us.

I hope WR never forgets to pay the bill (I'd pitch in a few bucks) and we keep this place forever.