Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

You can talk about anything here
BacktotheFuture4Life
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

Post by BacktotheFuture4Life »

crazydrummerdude wrote:UO goes through phases of popularity. A lot of newbs burn bright for 6 months, invite a friend or two, then disappear. Maybe it's seasonal? It seems we're currently in a rut of not much activity, but there are a couple new-to-me users who are posting, so that's good.

There is a shit ton of information here, and we've been everywhere, so anyone looking to get into the hobby is bound to find us.

I hope WR never forgets to pay the bill (I'd pitch in a few bucks) and we keep this place forever.
+1

I see where you're coming from. There doesn't seem to be to many new users that post anything.
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Snoopy »

I think the largest issue with the young newbs is they all want handouts and don't want to do any of their own research or exploring to find new places. They get frustrated and quit the forums and form their own group.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

^

My favorite stereotype to pick-on are the folks who exclusively use Instagram. The platform is okay (no photo albums is dumb tho), but the community sure seems to have their priorities mixed up. Buildings get ruined quick once haphazardly shared with unvetted audiences, and it sucks to meet new explorers just to see them concentrating on selfies instead of the badass places they're experiencing right next to me.

That said, observing subcultures as they evolve is certainly interesting. Forums are certainly more research-oriented and will hopefully continue to attract people interested in UE itself. Collaboration bests commentary in my opinion :idea:
Preservation over plunder.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

mindwaave wrote:It sucks to meet new explorers just to see them concentrating on selfies instead of the badass places they're experiencing right next to me.
I hate it when I'm exploring with a couple photographer dudes and all they want to do is take pictures of shit. Like, I explored the entirety of this building 10 minutes ago, how are you still taking shots of the front door?? :P :P :P
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:Like, I explored the entirety of this building 10 minutes ago, how are you still taking shots of the front door??
Don't forget the staircases!
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

mindwaave wrote:
PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:Like, I explored the entirety of this building 10 minutes ago, how are you still taking shots of the front door??
Don't forget the staircases!
Dat staircase tho
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

RE: Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

Post by testube »

Maybe we are just running out of unexplored and undocumented locations? I'll admit that I'm more attracted to a place that nobody knows much about than one that everybody has already posted pix of, regardless of how cool the pix are. ;)
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

Post by SubLunar »

testube wrote:Maybe we are just running out of unexplored and undocumented locations? I'll admit that I'm more attracted to a place that nobody knows much about than one that everybody has already posted pix of, regardless of how cool the pix are. ;)
Yep and same.
Chubz
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Chubz »

mindwaave wrote:^

My favorite stereotype to pick-on are the folks who exclusively use Instagram. The platform is okay (no photo albums is dumb tho), but the community sure seems to have their priorities mixed up. Buildings get ruined quick once haphazardly shared with unvetted audiences, and it sucks to meet new explorers just to see them concentrating on selfies instead of the badass places they're experiencing right next to me.

That said, observing subcultures as they evolve is certainly interesting. Forums are certainly more research-oriented and will hopefully continue to attract people interested in UE itself. Collaboration bests commentary in my opinion :idea:
Another change I've noticed with the instagram UE crowd is that they are excited to find well-done and fresh graffiti in buildings...whereas previously we've found that the places getting tagged are the ones that get shit up much quicker than leaving it be and keeping quiet about spots.

I can enjoy graffiti but not when it's ruining some awesome views/architecture and is just gonna lead to the spot getting locked up and ruined. Actively searching out graff only encourages the people doing it.

edit: To add, I also agree that we're running out of places. My coworkers were just discussing the large amount of renovations downtown to buildings that have sat empty for a really long time. Sorta bittersweet I suppose, although I'd love to see JA, Railway Exchange or the Chemical Building before the rehabs change everything.
ultimate lurker
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: RE: Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

Post by Headframe Hunters »

testube wrote:Maybe we are just running out of unexplored and undocumented locations? I'll admit that I'm more attracted to a place that nobody knows much about than one that everybody has already posted pix of, regardless of how cool the pix are. ;)
There's always something else to find, especially if you relocate. I'll be moving to a different state once I find a full-time job, so that will mean a whole new range of sites to explore.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

River Roads Mall
Carondelet Coke
Armour
Hunter
Pevely
St. Mary's
Wright-Arcade
Dillard's
Lever
SLAAP

All favorites either town down or renovated.

Can't think of any other big spectacular industrial places left.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Chris wrote:River Roads Mall
Carondelet Coke
Armour
Hunter
Pevely
St. Mary's
Wright-Arcade
Dillard's
Lever
SLAAP

All favorites either town down or renovated.

Can't think of any other big spectacular industrial places left.
There's no substitute for a few of those for sure. Especially Armour and St Mary's. But, we've also cracked open some good stuff that's not well known. The opportunities are just becoming more difficult/risky. Inversely, the instagram clowns are becoming more careless and destructive.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

gimpface wrote:My issue with facebook exploring groups is the complete lack of anonymity. At least here at UO people only know who you are if you want them to. There's a lot of places I've been to that I would not be comfortable at all talking about without some thin veneer of anonymity.

Why don't you create a fake/anon fb profile to use?
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Chubz wrote:
mindwaave wrote:^

Another change I've noticed with the instagram UE crowd is that they are excited to find well-done and fresh graffiti in buildings...whereas previously we've found that the places getting tagged are the ones that get shit up much quicker than leaving it be and keeping quiet about spots.

I can enjoy graffiti but not when it's ruining some awesome views/architecture and is just gonna lead to the spot getting locked up and ruined. Actively searching out graff only encourages the people doing it.

edit: To add, I also agree that we're running out of places. My coworkers were just discussing the large amount of renovations downtown to buildings that have sat empty for a really long time. Sorta bittersweet I suppose, although I'd love to see JA, Railway Exchange or the Chemical Building before the rehabs change everything.
About a decade ago, I had an incredibly stupid argument on here where I was saying the same thing. The other guy couldn't accept it. Graffiti is a catalyst for yuppies to call something an eyesore and get it wiped off the earth.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

reddit