The mystery of the black rabbit heads...

For things related to the site itself -- updates, problems, bugs, requests
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

The mystery of the black rabbit heads...

Post by White Rabbit »

So, if any of you have logged on since about noon today, you're probably really confused. As you can see, I've just installed a major new feature, probably THE coolest feature yet.

Have you ever logged on and seen all those red rabbit head icons and said to yourself, "Man, I don't want to check all those forums and see if there's new stuff. It's probably just more stupid replies in threads I don't care about."

Well now, at a glance, you'll be able to tell if a forum contains new topics, new replies in existing topics you've read, or both.

But that's not all folks!

As you can see, the little rabbit head icons in the forums have changed as well. I've installed a new legend both on the main index as well as the individual forum pages to explain them. However, in case there's any confusion, here's a really plain explanation of all of them. Some of this is already-known, but I'm going to repeat it.

Index Icons

[left]templates/bcBlack/images/folder_new_topic.gif[/left]
This icon, the black rabbit, means that there are ONLY new topics that you have never viewed before in the forum.

[left]templates/bcBlack/images/folder_new_big.gif[/left]
This icon, the red rabbit, means there are ONLY new replies in topics you have viewed before.

[left]templates/bcBlack/images/folder_new_both.gif[/left]
This icon means there are BOTH new replies in previously-viewed topics AND new topics in the forum.

[left]templates/bcBlack/images/folder_big.gif[/left]
This icon means there is nothing new at all in the forum.

Forum Icons

[left]templates/bcBlack/images/folder_t.gif[/left]
This icon, the black rabbit, means that this is a completely new topic that you have NEVER viewed.

[left]templates/bcBlack/images/folder_new.gif[/left]
This icon, the red rabbit, means that you have viewed this topic before, and now there are new replies.

[left]templates/bcBlack/images/folder.gif[/left]
This icon, the gray rabbit, means that this is a topic you have viewed with no new replies.

[left]templates/bcBlack/images/folder_lock_t.gif[/left][left]templates/bcBlack/images/folder_lock_new.gif[/left][left]templates/bcBlack/images/folder_lock.gif[/left]
These icons are the locked icons and mean a topic is locked. The first means a topic has never been viewed, but is locked. The second means you have viewed the topic before and it has new replies now, but it is locked. The third means the topic is locked and has no new replies.

[left]templates/bcBlack/images/folder_new_own.gif[/left]
This icon, the glowing red rabbit head, means a topic has been viewed before and now has new replies, AND that you've previously posted in it.

[left]templates/bcBlack/images/folder_own.gif[/left]
This icon, the glowing gray rabbit head, means that a topic has no new replies BUT that you have posted in it before.

[left]templates/bcBlack/images/folder_announce.gif[/left]
The white rabbit head still means an announcement or sticky post.

If any of this is too confusing, all you have to remember is that RED means new stuff!

Now, I expect lots of praise and worship over this new feature. Because this wasn't a mere hack I installed from the phpbb sites. This feature did not exist in any form, and I had to break out my super-leet PHP coding skills to create it from scratch. It's something I've wanted since I created the forum. I've spent the last three weeks DRIVING MYSELF INSANE coding this feature.

So, feedback please!
Last edited by White Rabbit on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

RE: The mystery of the black rabbit heads...

Post by whipping_post »

Lots of work but I like it. I don't know if it'll confuse everybody (as it did me at first) but I still like it. Now if we could work on the ladies' avatars then it might all be well with the world. ;)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: The mystery of the black rabbit heads...

Post by Hiccup »

well, i have to be honest. WR really has been stressing over these icons because he wanted em so bad and he wanted em to be perfect and cool and hes mr anal perfectionist :P but all along i remained a little confused about all the different icons and i wasnt as excited about em as he was. well now that ive actually been using em, i freaking love them. it didnt take me very long at all to figure em out and once i did i was like "this rocks!" :P
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

i like it...new and pretty colors.....glowing lights...it's all pretty and intruiging.....
i'm sure i'll understand it after repeated use (like drugs)
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

yeah...he spent a ton of time playing around with the icons. it was like an icon beauty pageant with finalists and everything. and i got to be a judge--it was fun! :P
mjames
Prodigal Son Returns
Prodigal Son Returns

Post by mjames »

Was there a swim-wear portion of the pageant?
Back in Black!
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

And in honor of the AVN awards, was there a best bukake scene? Okay, I just icked myself with that one.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

Yes, WR spent lots and lots of time on these new patches. He told me the hybrid rabbit heads had to be coded by hand since know patch currently existed for phpBB forums.

What is funny is that in my last PM to WR I titled it "Black Rabbit". He ended up already having the idea before I did that but I thought that was a funny coincidence.

Anyways good job WR.
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
KansasCity
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

Post by KansasCity »

They make my head hurt, ARGH!
I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition is to eat, drink, and be Mary.

Aka Gringo Loco on KcUrbex.org and UER
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

KansasCity wrote:They make my head hurt, ARGH!
You'll get used to them, I promise. In fact, once you do, you'll wonder how you ever surfed the forum without them.
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

Despite my horrible joke, I quite like them as they do make surfing somewhat easier.
Watcher
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Watcher »

Beware of the Black Rabbit.... haven't you ever read Watership Down?
"Oh, poor Watcher. Did your life flash before your eyes? Cuppa tea, cuppa tea, almost got shagged, cuppa tea..."
- Spike, "BTVS"