New email feature

For things related to the site itself -- updates, problems, bugs, requests
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

New email feature

Post by White Rabbit »

Okay, I turned on an existing email feature... Here's the details. You know how in your profile you have an option to hide your email address? I always had that turned on, because I don't want spam-spiders picking up my email and spamming me (more than I already get). Problem is, I've had a few users who couldn't email me when they wanted to because they had no way to access it.

So, here's the solution. I turned on a feature that allows you to email someone via the board. Before, when you had your email set to visible in your profile, anyone could see your email address in your profile. Now, if you have it enabled, it simply gives you a link to a form that you can fill out that will send your message to the user's email through the board.

Even when you have your email set to visible in your profile, no one will be able to see your email unless you reply back to them or give it to them, but they *will* be able to email you. And when you email them through the forum, your email will show up as the return address.

Also, I used to have it set to hide your email by default when you registered, so most of you have your email addresses hidden (unless you changed it). You don't have to unhide your emails, but if you want to let other users (only registered users) have the ability to email you, just unhide it in your profile. New users will have their email unhidden by default.

Kinda long, but hopefully I explained it well enough. :)