Riley New Mexico

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Riley New Mexico

Post by whipping_post »

I know this is WAY out of the area but I've run across at least one ghost town when I've traveled through NM. The one I know the best it Riley. I'd have to go through all the pictures I've taken (at least a DVD full) of the area in order to post them, should anybody want to see them and yes, I got a picture of an outhouse, before anybody asks.

It's down by White Sands that has a church/school still standing and a few pretty much gone buildings. Lots of kids have been there and have done a great job of tearing up the places that are still left standing, but it's interesting to view.

There is one place that is posted as off limits and Government Property, but if you go around, you can then go in and see the graveyard and a renovated building that I'm guessing was another school. It's been a few years since I was out there but I do remember that there's a Bus Stop sign out in the middle of nowhere and a fork in the road. An honest to god wooden fork marking a fork in the road. Strange place.

Otherwise, unless you go out to my buddies land, it's pretty desolate but you step in places where nobody has ever walked.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Riley New Mexico

Post by White Rabbit »

I've been out to that area. I spent a night sleeping on the ground in Dog Canyon outside of Alamogordo. Then I went to White Sands the next day and got the single worst sunburn of my entire life. 100+ degree desert sun, with rolling dunes of reflective white sand, not good to be out in for hours without sunscreen.
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

RE: Riley New Mexico

Post by whipping_post »

Oh, I know! The best times to go out there is April to June and then September to October. You still might want to wear a hat at times but otherwise, to me at least, it was beautiful. If I can find the picture of the bus stop sign to nowhere, I'll try to post it. I thought it was more than a little strange.

You also have to watch the UV index the night before and during the morning just to be sure. 9 is okay but once it hits 10, sunscreen is your friend.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.