Detroit Salt Mine

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Detroit Salt Mine

Post by bluecookies »

The past few weeks I was out of town on vacation with the family. I was telling my folks a bit about this and some cool places discovered and such.

They reminded me of a place called the Detroit Salt Mine (I'm originally from Southeaster Michigan) that was open for tours that they had been down. I was too young to do or even remember something like that.

Anyhow they were telling me about the place. The mine covers like 80,000 square miles and the vein of salt extends all the way to places like New York and West Virginia.

The mine has been closed most of my life, looks like perhaps they use it a little bit for road salt and such (we go through a lot of that stuff up north).

I guess this post is more info for those who like this sorta stuff. Here is a link thats kinda interesting:

http://info.detnews.com/history/story/i ... y=business
caver
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

RE: Detroit Salt Mine

Post by caver »

There is a salt mine not far from Hutchinson KS.
We passed it a few weeks ago while coming back from vacation and avoiding I70 like the plague. On highway 96 from what I remember. You could see the head frame from the highway.
The next morning we took a few more back roads to
see Big Brutus near West Mineral KS. One of the worlds largest electric shovels that is now a museum.
http://www.bigbrutus.org/
Caving impaired,,,too old, too fat, don't care.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Detroit Salt Mine

Post by Willard »

It's funny, my 6th grade teacher told us about Big Brutus. That was 11 years ago but he made a really big deal about it, of course with a machine that big, it's no wonder. I just find it interesting that Springfield Public Schools students learned about Big Brutus.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Re: Detroit Salt Mine

Post by slow_walker »

Hey piplnr, this is what I was talking about Friday night. I knew I had heard about it somewhere, just couldn't remember where. I've swear I get so bored at work that I've read every post ever written on this site. :P
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Detroit Salt Mine

Post by piplnr65656 »

slow_walker wrote:Hey piplnr, this is what I was talking about Friday night. I knew I had heard about it somewhere, just couldn't remember where. I've swear I get so bored at work that I've read every post ever written on this site. :P
Thank you Slow_Walker.