A.W. Schwabbs basment-memphis tn (56k beware)

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
pinkspider
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

A.W. Schwabbs basment-memphis tn (56k beware)

Post by pinkspider »

this is my first post here so be gentle :D i've been in to urban exploring for a few years now tho i haven't really got to do much due to school and work. but weirdly enough while i was in school in memphis my watercolor teacher gave our class the hook-up and got us into the basment under A.W. Schwabbs. schwabbs is a general store most of you that have beale street will recognize, the saying is that "if you can't find it as A.W. Schwabbs then you don't really need it." the store it's self is a mish mosh of hoodoo items as well as plastic jewelry and weird old granny underwear. the basement was a wonder intresting experiance because the building was build around 200 years ago from the disasimbled barges from the mississippi. the basement was like a time capsule and had everything from old photos and a baptismal font to more modern glass bottles. these are some of my pictures from that trip. if you want to try and get into the basment you need to speak to the owner. he's pretty cool and will usually let ya down there. if you can produce a memphis college of art id and drop bob's (my teachers) name your in for sure!

the old dirt floor

some of the more modern peices of junk and some of the duct work.

collection of glass bottles

and old washing machine?

no idea what this stuff was

is that an IV? creeeepy >.<

old chairs and store adds

a little hint of the size of this place

and old scale. i had ploped myself down infront of it to do some paintings of the coal stacks

coal stacks veiw one

view 2

the baptismal font

looking back at the coal stacks

dried flowers O.o
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: A.W. Schwabbs basment-memphis tn (56k beware)

Post by ARLT1YJ »

Welcome to the site PinkSpider, and great pics. I bet there's tens of thousands of dollars in antiques and other goods down there. A sweet find indeed.

The building itself is extremely old judging by the condition of many of the brick walls and electric fixtures.

I bet you didn't find too much medium to paint with watercolors, looks like a lot of browns and gray to me. :|
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

As CobCob says, double the post, double the fun

Post by ARLT1YJ »

Keep on chewin' that double mint gum
Last edited by ARLT1YJ on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

wow that was pretty cool had to be a fun day bet it smelld Old i can almost smell it just looking at the pics
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
pinkspider
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by pinkspider »

ARLT1YJ wrote:Welcome to the site PinkSpider, and great pics. I bet there's tens of thousands of dollars in antiques and other goods down there. A sweet find indeed.

The building itself is extremely old judging by the condition of many of the brick walls and electric fixtures.

I bet you didn't find too much medium to paint with watercolors, looks like a lot of browns and gray to me. :|
god only knows how much that stuff is worth O.o they guy that owns it now.. his GRANDFATHER started collecting this stuff. and my water colors came out really nice acutally :D cause even brown has a blue, green, or red base... so i just pulled more of those colors out *points to icon* that one of the paintings that i still have.. all the rest sold :D

ropingk wrote:wow that was pretty cool had to be a fun day bet it smelld Old i can almost smell it just looking at the pics
it was an awesome day :D kinda creepy.. they had an intercom in the place that would randomly crackle and scare us all.. and the smell.... dirt, coal, old wood, and tons of dust... wonderful :D

thanks for the welcome you guys ^_^ a few of my friends and i are trecking out to monte ne on saturday so i'll have some more stuff then
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Yeah cool indeed, a veritable museum unto itself.
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P