Anyone ever visit Marble, CO?...

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
SlyFoxx
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Anyone ever visit Marble, CO?...

Post by SlyFoxx »

Went there on a 'family vacation'. Apparantly, the citizens of marble took the land away from the native Americans who lived there by bargaining w/them to give them part of the money rec'd from selling the marble rock there to various places. Well according to what I was told, the ppl lied & gave nothing to the natives so a curse was put on the place saying that it would basically go belly-up & never earn profit again, well it happened, somehow the town lost business & went belly-up. It has some extrememly neat stuff (at least when we went yrs ago it did). I think it's sort of a state park like place where you can go but leave it undesturbed so-to-speak. It has some old tressles, equipment remnants, huge slabs of rock & such. It's really really neat. I just wondered if anyone had been there 'sides me. :)
SlyFoxx
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Anyone ever visit Marble, CO?...

Post by SlyFoxx »

Ok, lemmie rephrase my previous post. Apparantly the mine is still being used according to the website. So I must be confusing the story w/another mining town but I have been to Marble as well as other mining places. I cudda sworn I had the story straight. Sorry folks for my misinformation! :oops: Next time, I'll double ck my info before posting! :oops: :shock: If anyone knows of the place that the story goes with, lemmie know. I'm curious now!
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

Marble is almost a ghost town so you might have the correct town. There are a few ghost towns around that area. Most of the towns went belly up when the sherman silver act was abolished and all the mines closed.
SlyFoxx
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SlyFoxx »

Thanx for reasurring me. What was the silver act about? Why did it affect marble or other mining towns? When we went, I really do not recall anything that remotely looked as if the mining town/area was still in use. Everything was growed-over & rotted out looking. :?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

An interesting point about Marble, Colorado is that's where they quaried the marble for the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D. C.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
cherry63376
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by cherry63376 »

In 1972 the town was reincorporated to fight the development of a ski area on the southwest-facing slopes above the Town which threatened the residents' water supply of Carbonate Creek. Although many feel the plan was never more than a land speculation boondoggle, a two-mile long ski lift and an empty 50-unit condo building remain as yet more testimony to the Ute curse that greedy whites will never prosper here. The marble quarry reopened in 1990 but has since gone into receivership and reopened again - never employing more than a half-dozen workers.
caver
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Re: Anyone ever visit Marble, CO?...

Post by caver »

I was there in 1996. There is the outline of an old building with columns still standing where they would do whatever with the marble. Lots of marble chunks laying around with core holes in them. I went on up to the mine but it looked active so just peeked in the entrance. I had become seperated from some friends I was travelling with. I didn't know they went on up to the old Crystal Mill. A few years ago I camped up near the town of Gothic and rode my motorcycle to Schofield Pass and down to the Crystal Mill. That's a rough ass road and people have died on it. Part of the road is blasted out of the canyon wall. The old mill is a nice Kodak Moment.
Caving impaired,,,too old, too fat, don't care.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: Anyone ever visit Marble, CO?...

Post by Willard »

caver wrote:I was there in 1996. There is the outline of an old building with columns still standing where they would do whatever with the marble. Lots of marble chunks laying around with core holes in them. I went on up to the mine but it looked active so just peeked in the entrance. I had become seperated from some friends I was travelling with. I didn't know they went on up to the old Crystal Mill. A few years ago I camped up near the town of Gothic and rode my motorcycle to Schofield Pass and down to the Crystal Mill. That's a rough ass road and people have died on it. Part of the road is blasted out of the canyon wall. The old mill is a nice Kodak Moment.
If you're talking about the same building I'm thinking of as far as the "mill" then it's actually not a mill but an old power station. There used to be a wooden dam that spanned the river from the building. It's the most photographed place in Colorado from what I remember reading about it as well.. I have even taken pictures of it.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude