Outside Houston, TX; Evacuated Town

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
downhil
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Outside Houston, TX; Evacuated Town

Post by downhil »

conroe is just north of houston.

there is no way an entire town was evacuated and left to rot without the rest of texas, much less houston knowing about it.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Outside Houston, TX; Evacuated Town

Post by White Rabbit »

downhil wrote:conroe is just north of houston.

there is no way an entire town was evacuated and left to rot without the rest of texas, much less houston knowing about it.
Yeah, you're right. My understanding is that it wasn't actually an entire town, but just an elementary school that got shut down and abandoned.
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

I'm still looking for the chapter which talks about this in Bushwhacked. I had heard that it was an entire town which has since been entirely fenced off. As soon as I come across what's said, I'll post an excerpt.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I thought I might have something that would help, but come to find out it was no help for finding this town outside of Houston. Anyway I have a Ghost Towns of Texas book that has a copy right from 1986. It has several ghost towns listed in it and from the pictures they look like awsome EU places. There was one town in the book called Smeltertown that was established around 1887. It was founded around the gigantic copper and lead smelter that was there. The residents were forced to leave in 1972 because of the high lead levels and all the houses were torn down. apperently the only thing that remains are the church and the school which have been fenced off so noone can go inside them. Just some food for thought.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

Sorry guys, I should have actually read the chapter before posting instead of just going off of something I heard. I'm going to type out the chapter and attach it when I finish so the file can be downloaded by anyone curious about the spills.
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

Okay, turns out that 12 pages of small print is a lot to type. I didn't finish as I had band practice in the evening. In any case, I'm a fool. This happened in New Jersey, not Texas. Sorry.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

ivecomeasiam wrote:Okay, turns out that 12 pages of small print is a lot to type. I didn't finish as I had band practice in the evening. In any case, I'm a fool. This happened in New Jersey, not Texas. Sorry.
Did the elementary school thing happen in Texas?
JCM1959
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by JCM1959 »

ivecomeasiam wrote:Okay, turns out that 12 pages of small print is a lot to type. I didn't finish as I had band practice in the evening. In any case, I'm a fool. This happened in New Jersey, not Texas. Sorry.
This sounds more like Three Mile Island. Like downhil said, the whole state would have heard of this if it happened in Texas.
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

Well, it's not like Three Mile Island, as it wasn't a nuclear plant issue. But, if I could find the eBook, I'd post the chapter for you guys to read. It all happened in New Jersey, I don't see anything about Texas in the chapter. Texas is just contaminated with chemicals, regardless.
jetskiergrant
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by jetskiergrant »

If dioxine is what they found in Texas, that is some bad stuff. They just a couple of years ago cleaning up a Superfund Site in Jacksonville. The dioxine was a byproduct of some DDT (herbacide ?) and also Agent Orange. Both produced in Jacksonville by Hercules and then Vertac. The site is just know starting to be used by the city. But the contamination was found in other areas throughout the city and cleaned.
jetskiergrant

I did not lie to you, the truth just changed.
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by bugo »

White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

bugo wrote:LINK!
Very cool. Another mystery solved.
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

Creepy.

LINK!
There's your vanished community.

EDIT: Maybe someone else can explain better what we're looking at? I'm curious if the water there is part of the cleanup effort.
We might die from medication
But we sure killed all the pain ~ Conor Oberst
downhil
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by downhil »

anybody heading to texas soon? id love to go take some pics of the area.
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

jetskiergrant wrote:DDT (herbacide ?) and also Agent Orange.
DDT's a pesticide, not an herbicide.

Agent Orange, on the other hand, was an herbicide used extensively during the Vietnam War. Uncle Sam decided that, since they had such a hell of a time finding Charlie in the jungles, they'd just get rid of the jungles so Charlie couldn't hide in them.

Worked just about as well as everything else they (and the French before them) tried in Vietnam.

Except the Huey. Those actually kicked some serious ass, and are still around today, with relatively few modifications to their basic design.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."